Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:16 AM   #1

I am going to buy a Canon S70 camera, upgrading from my A70. I know that the S70 comes with the NB-2LH battery. But, would the NB-2L battery work? I can find the OEM NB-2L on eBay for less than $10.00. You can even find generic NB-2L batteries (with a higher power rating 1000 mAh) on eBay for less than $5.00.

My concern is that I would like to get an extra battery, but I don't want to spend $60+ for the OEM NB-2LH. Would the NB-2L or the generic ones suffice? Or would it be harmful to the camera? TIA.
joysmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:55 AM   #2

You can use the nb-2l (without the H) It is listed in the manual for the s70.

You might look at pricegrabber store front. A store carrying them there for 10.00 or so gives a one year warranty. Sterlingtek.com is thier homepage. THey list the battery through the home page at 19.99. I called and got the batteries for 12.99, a car charger 20.00, and an AC adapter 20.00. I got 2 batteries and that brought the price over 60.00 and that gets you free 2nd day shipping. The person I talked to was nice, and I could understand her well. I was expecting a calling room full of ESL students. I called 3 times and it was the same lady. Anyway I got all that for a little more than one CANON brand battery.
I hope they work well.

I will post what I think of the stuff I bought here when I get it.

I use generic battieries in my Sony camcorder, and never had any problems.
grayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:38 AM   #3

HI, I got the stuff from Sterlingtek. Everything fits, and works so far. I got it before they said I would, and I would buy there again. they have a one year warranty on eveything, which is surprising to me.

The batteries are labeled 1200mAh at 7.4 volts. I probaby wont do a test to see which one lasts the longest between the Canon nb-2lh or the nb-2l labeled batteries I recieved. Unless someone says, DO it man, please! The OEM charger that came with the camera charged the generics fine as well.

The car/wall charger only has two battery connectors , while the original canon has 3. I is set up to where you can select the wall plug you want to use for USA, Europe, England, and one other plug I dont recognize. The output voltage of the charger is not the same as the Canon OEM charger. This is dissapointing, but the charger charged both the Canon battery and the sterlingtek just fine. Nothing got hot, I cant see any reason to worry. It is a generic charger that can charge 4 different batteries, and it is kind of bulky, but, the price is right.

The AC adapter works/fits in the camera and had an output of 7.6 volts. I dont think that is going to hurt the camera, and it could be that my volt meter is not super accurate. It came with a very long cord, which is nice. The battery substitute is seperate from the cable, which makes me think I will lose it. So, I will PC-7 them together .
Old Jan 7, 2005, 7:35 PM   #4

AS a follow up: I am impressed with the aftermarket batteries mentioned above. I took them on a five day trip and have 120 pictures. I frequently used the flash, and used the camera to display images on a TV, erased many images I took while experimenting with the camera. I used only one battery during the entire trip. I expected to have to recharge after the 1st day, but the one I installed worked for the who;e trip.

Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:19 PM   #5

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1092949257.html
"In order to increase the amount of photographs users can capture, Canon developed a new lithium-ion battery pack, the NB-2LH model, which delivers approximately 26% higher capacity than the previous NB-2L."
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:42 PM   #6

I see you've had Sterling Tek's batteries for about five months or so now. Do they stillperform as advertised?

That 1100mAh capacity rating seems almost unbelievable, since Canon's 'new higher power' version raised it from only 570mAh to 720mAh. Sterling Tek batteries would theoretically give half again the life of the Canons. And at 1/3 the price?

Thanks in advance for your followup report!

Bill
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:14 PM   #7

You may also want to consider a DPS 9000 external battery.

It is Lithium based and lasts for hours AND will work with almost all dig cams

They are occasionally for sale on Ebay or just Froogle for them
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote