Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:50 PM   #1

What are the consequences of charging NiMH with a NiCad charger. My telephone battery is dead and it requires 3 AA NiCads, would like to replace them with NiMH. Thanks -garman
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Administrator

Chances are, it's not going to fully charge them, if you're talking about the charger cradle for the phone (or a separate charger for NiCADs).

If you *really* like the phone, I'd probably try it (but do it at your own risk). I doubt it would hurt anything (the biggest problem I've heard is that the NiCAD Chargers typically do not fully charge the NiMH batteries). So, you'd be more likely to underchage them, versus overcharge them.

If you mean an external charger, I'd suggest buying a decent charger and batteries.The Maha chargers are very popular (they are "smart" chargers withmicroprocessors to accurately charge the batteries).

Steve has a good writeup on batteries and chargers here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 1:30 AM   #3

I have replaced a battery pack in one cordless phone. All that's easily available is NiMH packs so I put it in. It works great. I get at least two weeks standy time. The NiCd pack was 700 mAH. The NiMh is 1300 mAH.

It seems to be true that NiMH batteries don't take to slow charging. The major effect is never reaching it's full capacity. Here's a good link to read up on batteries.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:26 AM   #4

Great, I have some old 1100mA batteries that I don't use. Not gonna hurt if I try. thanks again for the advice. -garman
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:59 PM   #5

KueH, was right. I chopped up the battery case for my phone. It sure would be nice if they just use standard battery casing. I guess no profit in that. Anyway after soldering wires to the 3 batteries in series, sealed case popped in the phone, worked like a charm. Charge the battery, no leaking after the overnight charge. Next step is to see how long will the battery last during use and stand by, Thanks again for the great tips. -garman