Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 21, 2004, 4:30 PM   #1

Sorry if the question has been raised before, but I couldn't find any answers.

Warm-up babble:
I got my Sony W1 a week ago, and so far very happy. Images are having pretty good quality, but using the "automatic" has been a disappointment. The programs Portrait/Landscape etc are mostly producing better pictures. The movie feature I found quite good, although I would love if I could zoom during filming. Anyhow…

The Question:
It came with the Sony BC-CS2B Charger - which charges the Ni-MH 2100 mAh Sony batteries in a few hours and have this cute little led to tell me when it is done. Additional I got myself some Ni-MH 2500 mAh Digital batteries and a separate (cheap and no led) charger which uses up to 14 hours to charge 4x batteries.
As you well guessed from the topic
On the backside of the Sony charger it states "CAUTION / This battery charger must only be used with Sony Ni-MH batteries in AA or.... "
So... Shall I or shall I not take the risk?

Thanks
[email protected]
Barcelona/Spain

Attached is a picture taken tonight in Barcelona where one half of the sky was orange/yellow and behind me it was blue sky. It was really a weird sensation.
ExposureTime - 10/300 seconds / FNumber - 2.80 / ISOSpeedRatings - 100 / MaxApertureValue - F 2.83 / MeteringMode - Multi-segment

Attached Images

provoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:03 PM   #2

:OLet me answer my own mail with a picture. :?
Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:12 PM   #3

Oh well.. Couldn't wait for an answer... Still want one thou...

The charge took about5 hours and something...The little Sony led went off and charge was done. I was constantly monitoring the heat of the batteries and they didn't seem too hot, they were touchable, not burning, but I was not going to bed leaving the charger on.

I do NOT currently recommend anybody to do this, although it seems that my charge of my batteries went fine.

If you need any more information, please let me know.

Thanks and good night.
[email protected]
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:31 PM   #4

The picture answered your question. The Digital batteries are rated for a quick charge. Some chargers that are even faster might be dangerous. Some are rated at 15 minutes, so you need to use special batteries in that charger. As long as batteries are rated for a quick charge and the times are reasonable close, you should be safe.

I think so ......
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:15 AM   #5

Hi thanks for your answer.
I read that too, and that is what helped me to take the decision to just do it.

My concern was if there were something with Sony batteries that gave "feedback" to the charger, so you are not overcharging the batteries or in any other way putting anything at risk - and other batteries would not have this security (re: exploding fake Nokia batteries)

So, to summrize, will I charge these batteries again with the Sony charger, Yes.
Do I recommend others to do it? Only if you expect the batteries to handle it, ie. that the batteries are "up-to-date technology", getting printed hints as mine that "quick charge" is supported. I would reccomendIFYOU want to experiment, to do it somewhere safe, in case batteries or charger would melt/explode. You should monitor the heat of thefirstcharges you do with the batteries, Hot OK, Burning hot (too hot to hold your finger on it for a long time) disconnect the charger immediately. Smoke... not good, disconnect. Fire.... BBQ!
If in slight doubt, don't do it!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Got as well this question in my mailbox that I think will need a broader audience.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:00:46 -0700,xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello i saw ur post and i just want to know if u can tell me what was the
> different in time using the batteries 2100 and the new one u used 2500.
> and looking for the same answer u were seeking and i can't find it. Like
> using a 2500 batteries can damages the camera ? , or can damage the charger
> the w1 uses. maybe u can continue asking in the forum and someone will
> asnswer proffesional , i will do it but as u can see my english is not that
> great . thanks in advance for any information u can provide.
Hi
As I only have done one charge now with the 2500 and I didn't clock it, I cannot tell what was the time it took.
I'll try to remember to time the charging for each model and I will post the question and answer on the forum.
There are no major differences between "2500" and "2100" but just that the 2500 in theory last longer than 2100 - so no harm to the camera is expected. Harm to the charger was my concern, but neither charger nor batteries became excessively hot.
I'll let you know in a week or so when I expect to have charged both models.

Thanks and best regards
[email protected]

Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:53 AM   #6

The numbers on the batteries are just guidelines...there's really slow chargers (14 hours), overnight (5-8 hours), fast (1-2 hours), and "got to have it charged now" (15 minutes). I can charge those batteries in any of those chargers (except the 15 minute charger which DOES require their own batteries and the charger checks for them...otherwise they charge at the slower 1-2 hour rate).

They say batteries can take 500-1000 charges, basically how you handle them will alter that fact not only how fast you charge them but also how quickly you discharge them...but once they've been charged 10 times they've more than paid for themselves and anything more is icing on the cake.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:02 AM   #7

Hi again.

Alright. Just did a charge with the "Digital 2500mAh" and the standard Sony charger that came with the W1. It took 8h and 15m before the led went off.

To add to the quality of these batteries, the have at least lasted more than 500 MB of pictues, videos, and viewing them a couple of times on the LCD and TV, done at least 3 USB downloads+ fooling around with settings (meaning: using the LCD). Overall, no dissappointment so far.

I'll give an update on the "Sony 2100mAh" batteries that came with the camera, when they have been charged.

Thanks
[email protected]
Old Oct 28, 2004, 5:51 PM   #8

This will be my final post in this thread.

The "Sony 2100mAh" took 6 hours and some (didn't catch when exactly the light went off... :roll anyway... about 2hours faster than the 2500 batteries.

Hope the information has been useful.

Thanks and best regards
[email protected]

Old Nov 9, 2004, 4:03 AM   #9

hi! i once had that same question before, i had a PPOWERBASE 2100mAh batt and charger but decided to buy a 2300mAh batts also, i did charge the 2300mAh on the charger that came wid my 2100mAh powerbase batteries and it worked. i charged about 30mins longer than my 2100mAh batts.

keep on shootin........:-):-):|:|
kronuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:42 PM   #10

Hi Provoke,

This is a bot off topic but just wondering what case are you using for your Sony W1?

Thanks,

David
DSCW1 is offline   Reply With Quote