Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:12 AM   #1

Using a Fuji A340 camera with rechargable NiMH batteries.

The manual was not clear on this - at least for me - do I use the batteries until they lose their charge and then charge them or do I drain their charge with the camera when they run low before charging.

The idea of draining the batteries each time sounds good but I do not know if this is required or wise.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dallas

D Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:01 AM   #2

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

Look here if you want to know more about batteries.

In short, charge when your camera indicates it. Discharging should be done with a special discharging device. Some chargers have this function.

High and total discharge should be avoided shince it can stress the batteries (decreasing it's cycle life).
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:38 AM   #3

D Parker wrote:
Quote:
do I use the batteries until they lose their charge and then charge them or do I drain their charge with the camera when they run low before charging.
Ni-MH batteries are very tolerant of top-up charging. Use them a bit, and then top them up later, preferably just before you need them, but otherwise now & then. A very occasional deep drain (in a camera or similar device, but NOT in a torch or similar) and sunsequent recharge is said to be a good idea.

Mnay of us round here have been using them with no trouble for many years. You just need to remember that they do self-discharge, so a top-up shortly before use is a good idea.

The newer Li-ion batteries hold lots more charge but will probably wear out more quickly. I have many very old Ni-MH cells that are still fully serviceable.

Ni-MH cells are for people with little money and big brains between the ears; Li-ion are for for people with more money than sense. However, we're all going to be put on to Li-ion soon whether we like it or not.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 9:46 AM   #4

"Ni-MH cells are for people with little money and big brains "

Well I meet the little money requirement, still working on the big brains bit (:

Thanks for the help guys.
D Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:16 AM   #5
blr

As other have said no deep discharge is required. I discharge my cells to 1 V per cell only once every 15-20 shallow cycles and for the first 3-4 cycles when the cells are brand new.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote