Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 17, 2002, 1:13 AM   #1

Default I give up, 475 pictures

I just charged and installed my new set of 2100mha AA batteries. With my Dimage 5 I took 475 pictures and still had juice left. I set it on the multi shot mode for quick back to back pictures. I took them at one-second intervals until the buffer was full, about 12 pictures, before I had to pause to clear the camera buffer. All at full resolution with FLASH for every single one of the 475 pictures. The camera was fairly warm and the CF card was really warm. I used all the auto setting for color, wb, iso, etc and auto focus. The display was probably on for only 30 minutes continuously because I was taking the pictures as fast as I could. I think the 2100s are keepers unless my testing is flawed. I know outdoor shots are typically more battery intensive and the LCD suck a lot of juice also. I only stopped to format the card after it was full, 5 times. It held/shot 95 pictures per 128mb card before I formatted it to keep the count going. Now I'm not saying your camera will do the same. I've seen some people get 200 shots on an 1800 and others say 100, who knows.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:38 AM   #2

OK, so what results do you get after your big batts have been left in the cam for a week without re-charge?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:53 AM   #3

you know that you can't leave nimh batts off charge and get the same results. they lose a much as 25% of their charge in the first 24 hrs. the it becomes an incremental drop after that.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 12:38 PM   #4

Well, the more capacity you have before sitting for weeks, the more you have after sitting for weeks. If im lucky, I may have 1600 mHa left (just a guess). Still better than 1000mHa if I was to still have 1800s or so in my camera.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 2:50 AM   #5

I'm wondering if the incremental rate of self discharge though, becomes more than the 'rule of thumb' figures for larger capacity cells, as you try to pack more into the same space!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 5:56 AM   #6
NHL

... Well there's 1 good thing to say about the Rayovac 1hr fast charger!

Before one goes out for a day shoot, top them up by cycling the batteries through this POWERFUL charger (depending on how long it's been and how much the NiMh have lost their charge). It never took me more than a few minutes 3-4 top!

Is this why I have so much luck with my D7/microdrive? I have never used up more than 2 sets of 1700mAh NiMh/day and could never fill up the microdrive (except of course for studio shoots)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 7:33 AM   #7

I have 1800 mHa bats in my S602 and I routinely get 300 shots, no flash. They're relatively new, and I notice as I'm using them they're slowly increasing the ability to hold a charge. This jibes with what the book says for the battery charger I've got--the Lightning Pack 7000N (I think that's the name). The trick is, apparently, that the charger should keep the batteries cool because heat is the number one killer when it comes to shortening battery life. This particular charger charges four cells in under 90 minutes, and keeps them under 90 degrees F. It says at these cool temperatures, unless your camera gets hot (the S602 doesn't), they have to be cycled 15 or 20 times before they take a completely full charge.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote