Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 1, 2004, 7:22 AM   #1

Hi people this is my first post:-D

I recently just bought a brand new casio z40 camera fromdixons (uk), everything seemed to be working perfectly when i brought it out the box.

I could take pictures, upload them to my computer etc, but then the battery went dead and i needed to recharge it. The problem is that it wont charge. I left it on the cradle all of last night and it is still dead.

For anyone with a casio camera :- when i place it on the cradle the charging light remains on amber, which according to the manual means the camera is incharging standby. The led will not go red, indicating that it is charging.

It is a brand new camera and this would have been the first time i would have charged it. Do you think the battery is faulty? or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Paul.
paulioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:56 PM   #2

Do you have the camera sitting in the dock properly? Is the camera fully seated? Did you read the instructions on charging...do you have to have the camera switched to a particular mode?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:33 PM   #3

Yes the camera is sitting on the doc properly, as when it sits on the doc the led lights up.

And i've read the manual over and over again, all it says to do is place the camera on the docking and it will charge. Im thinking of taking itback and getting a replacement.

I was just wondering ifit wouldnt charge if there was a fault with the battery, even though the battery can power the camera on. Or whether its a fault with the docking station, even though i can use it to upload pictures to my computer. Im baffled :?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:02 AM   #4
Administrator

Did you try cleaning the battery contacts?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=14

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:06 PM   #5

I don't recommend Jim's suggestion...if it's a brand new camera it's the store's responsibility to make it right, and cleaning the contacts might do more harm than good in this case (as a former electronics technician, the store would like to see the camera as new condition without any repairs attempted by the owner, otherwise they might not honour their exchange policy).

If it's less than a week old, take it back to where you bought it (maybe they might also try it, and try their demo model or another out of the box to see if it works before you leave the store). If it's more than a week or two old, you'll probably have to deal with the manufacturer instead for warranty repair.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:51 PM   #6
Administrator

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I don't recommend Jim's suggestion...if it's a brand new camera it's the store's responsibility to make it right, and cleaning the contacts might do more harm than good in this case (as a former electronics technician, the store would like to see the camera as new condition without any repairs attempted by the owner, otherwise they might not honour their exchange policy).

If it's less than a week old, take it back to where you bought it (maybe they might also try it, and try their demo model or another out of the box to see if it works before you leave the store). If it's more than a week or two old, you'll probably have to deal with the manufacturer instead for warranty repair.
I'm not suggesting major surgery here.... only removing the battery and wiping their contacts off with a clean cloth. I said this in the post I referred to:

Quote:
You may want to make sure thebattery contacts are clean. Ditto for the contacts between the camera and the cradle.

From time to time,my wife's mobile phone refuses to charge. I just yank out the battery, rub the contacts on a clean cloth and put it back in. It then works fine for the nextfew months.
Chances are, it's a bad battery.

But, before going through the hassle of returning it, if it were mine, I'd at least remove the batteryand wipe off the battery contacts (and make sure the battery is inserted correctly).

Ditto for cradle contacts (I've had cordless phones that have quit charging thatcleaning the cradle contacts fixed, and I doubt the contacts in camera cradles are much different).

Heck, sometimes just removing and reinserting a battery can fix a problem (I deliberately bounce my batteries against the contacts when inserting them to help keep them clean).

You'd be surprised at how clean contacts can look at still not conduct well. The first thing I do is wipe them off when I have a similar problem (and it's gotten batteries in other devices likemobile phones and laptopscharging again over the years on multiple occasions).

I even use my pants leg to rub batteriesagainst when removing them from cameras and inserting them in chargers, just to make sure their contacts are clean. It only takes a few seconds, and I've got batteries that are years old that show no apparent extra wear from this practice.

Now, the contacts in the cameraare a little more delicate. So, use your own judgement if attempting to clean them. Unless you are confident in you skill to do it, Mikefellh is probably right there.

Again, it's probably a bad battery (or the circuits in the camera or charger responsible for charging the battery). But, you never know... If it were mine, I'd give it a quick check for simple problems before going back to the dealer.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:28 PM   #7

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:

Paulioo, fortunately here in the U.K. if a product is found to befaulty at any time up to 6 months from purchase, the fault is deemed to have been present from the beginning. And as the contract is between you and the retailer, the onus is on them, in this case Dixons, to deal with any warranty claims. As you are probably aware Dixons are one of our more reputable retailers and i'm sure you won't have any problem exchanging the cam for a new one. It seems from the responses you have got, that the camera/docking cradle or battery could well be faulty, so i would suggest you return it asap, no point in fiddling about.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:24 PM   #8

Thanks for all your help guys. Believe me i've tried cleaning the battery contacts, making sure its in the right way etc. You name i've tried it.

Im taking it back tomorrow hopefully if i have time.

I think they deliberately sent me a faulty one because i got a huge discount on it. I bought it online from their website, so i searched for promotional codes and luckily found one that gave me a 15% discount :lol: