Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:03 AM   #1

I just received my Energizer charger today which came with 4 batteries plus I bought an additional 4 pack. The charger is not a trickle charge and is a long charge .. the package said about 14 hours, my question is how long can I leave them in the charger without damaging the batteries? 14 hours is a long time and if you go out or fall asleep and maybe forget they are charging how long after they are charged can you leave them in?

I hope my question is not too confusing and I also apoligize if it's been asked before

this is the charger I have http://ostg.pricegrabber.com/search_...terid=1854138/
leeanne172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:36 AM   #2
Baz

That type of charger is inconvenient, as you note. There are several better chargers available, that automatically charge the batteries in 2 or 3 hours. They detect the full charge point & switch to trickle charge, where the batteries can remain for more hours.

If you are unhappy with that charger, have a look at Steve's reviews of chargers. Look for accessories in Steve's main menu for the reviews.

I have two chargers that he lists. The Lightning Pack 4000N & the Maha C204F. They are both excellent automatic chargers.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 2:33 PM   #3

And I thought having a 5 hour charger (when I first got my digital) was long! Half a day charging batteries???

2-3 hour range is the average these days...there are some 15 minute chargers, but they require special batteries.

I love what they say in the link, "Don't miss getting the perfect shot!" Provided that you have several sets of batteries while this charger is charging a set!

Hello from Toronto BTW! ;-)
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:11 PM   #4

The long charge time does not bother me, I just wanted to know how long I can leave them in the charger safetly after they are done charging .. perhaps around Christmas I will get a better charger but for now this will do, I'm not complaining still beats the cost of regular batteries
Old Nov 5, 2004, 6:50 PM   #5

If the lights go out after 14 hours, then it should be no problem; many of these inexpensive chargers use a "timer on a chip" to charge the batteries rather than sensing voltage, so after the time is up it stops charging (my Panasonic 5 hour charger does this; I opened it up and checked out what chips were inside it to regulate charging).

Where the problem comes up is when you have a brownout or blackout (and that does occassionally happen in Toronto) when the power comes back on the charger will then think it has just been plugged in and charge the batteries for ANOTHER 14 hours! That's why I don't like the chargers that don't sense the battery voltage levels.

In any case I don't leave a charger charging unattended. I'll have it on my desk while working so I can keep an eye on it while it's doing its thing.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:58 PM   #6

Thanks

It is doubtful that I will be leaving mine unattended and like I said I do plan on getting a better charger around Christmas
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:10 AM   #7
blr

Most probably you can leave your cells after charging is complete. even if the charger doesn't shut down (although it should) after 14 h, NiMH cells can withstand overcharging at low currents for long time. However, i'd recommend against using this type of chargers alltogether. Even if you don't mind their speed, they are not the best. Ni-based cells don't react too well to slow charging. Slow charging coupled with some overcharging (often seen with time controlled chargers) aids crystaline formation inside cells, which in turn degrades cell performance. I'd recommend you to get a modern quick NiMH charger that has a voltage based charge termination. this are usually called "intelligent" chargers. There is plenty of info here and on other sites on these.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 3:53 PM   #8

Thank you for the info everyone

I am planning on buying a better charger but like I said in earlier messages it won't be till around Christmas, in the meantime this one should be fine .. chances are I won't be using too much between now and then anyway

I've looked at the sites on this website for places online to buy these chargers but is there stores that sell them instead of online? I live in Toronto and hunted quite a bit for chargers before settling on the Energizer Kit but didn't really find too much .. is online the best way to buy one?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:49 AM   #9

I have the Energizer charger and two sets of Energizer batteries. I have the 2500 mAh and the 2100 mAh. The instructions for the charger say that you can leave the batteries in charger to keep them ready. The charger I have is model CHCAR which chargers in 3 hours and comes with a 12 volt car adapter. As I write this I am discharging the 2500 mAh using my camera discharge mode. This will give them there full potential.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:24 PM   #10

Hello,

Recently, when I bought my A95, I also bought a charger and having read that Maha chargers were among the best I thought I'd give it a look... Well to my surprise it was not on sale in any stores I knew of.... Went to Maha site(http://www.mahaenergy.com) and checked for dealers in Quebec(that's where I live)... There was only 1 dealer for the whole province, I decided to give it a try and I haven't been deceived. It is an online dealer and he sells much better equipement than Future Shop does and at a lower price!!!

Here is his website, I admit it looks weird, he's some sort of geek guy who sells things he thinks are good. But the important is that the service is very adequate, he is a nice guy and I want to encourage his business, he also delivers accross Canada.http://www.paulsfinest.com/

Forgot to add, I bought the Maha C204W charger and am very pleased with it, along with that I took some Powerex 2300mAh batteries(Maha and Powerex is the same company).
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote