Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:51 PM   #1

I have a minolta dimage 7i and am having battery troubles. i know that the battery life on this camera isn't great...but there is something very wrong here.

The top two in the picture work fine
Sanyo rechargable nimy 1850
GP rechargable nimh 1300mAh

i can take about 20-30 pictures with these but they're starting to die. they don't last great and i'm looking to buy more - preferrably more than 1300mah.

i bought some new batteries but something's wrong. they don't work.

the other 3 brands of batteries don't work:
GP 1800
Powersmart 2000
pure energy rechargable alkaline

the camera turns on for about 10 seconds and then it dies citing low battery. when i test the batteries, they are full but they only take 1 picture and that's it. i've wiped the terminals clean and these batteries are fully charged, yet they only last for 10 seconds. why is it that my GP 1300 outlasts my GP 1800?

thanks
Attached Images

alexthenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:30 AM   #2
blr

From the cells you mention, I'd rule out rechargeable alkalines. These don't work well with digital cameras especially with power hungry ones. About the rest, it's difficult to say. Are the cells new? If they are, try to charge and completely discharge them (to 1 V per cell) 2-3 times and then try again. It is unlikely but you may have a defective cell in both GP1800 and the Powersmart 2000 sets. Finally if you can check all cells and they are OK the problem may be in the camera. I'd suggest before buying new cells try to work a bit with the GP 1800 set. Charge and discharge it a few times and then check again in the camera.

You don't mention how you charge them, some info on that will be useful.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:28 AM   #3

I have had a similar problem with my son's Kodak cx6200. With regular alkalines (duracells) it works fine for more than 100 shots. With PowerEx 1800 mAh double A's, the low battery icon comes on only after a few shots and then the camera powers off. I don't have a battery tester but when I put the two batteries in another appliance, there seems to be plenty of juice. Any ideas?
rosh400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 5:54 PM   #4
blr

rosh400 wrote:
Quote:
I have had a similar problem with my son's Kodak cx6200. With regular alkalines (duracells) it works fine for more than 100 shots. With PowerEx 1800 mAh double A's, the low battery icon comes on only after a few shots and then the camera powers off. I don't have a battery tester but when I put the two batteries in another appliance, there seems to be plenty of juice. Any ideas?
What comes to mind is the following scenarrio:

Some digital cameras (and other electronics) have their cut-off voltage set a bit too high. This means that the applience gives a low battery sign and shuts down when the battery voltage falls bellow certain value. Normally it is set to a value of 1.10-1.15 V/cell for appliencies operating on AA cells. It is possible that your camera is programmed to cut off at say 1.18 V/cell. Now if your cells suffer from voltage depression (wrongly called memory effect) the voltage drops below this value when the camera is turned on, although there is plenty of capacity left. The camera "thinks" that the battery is low and shuts off. Try to fully discharge your cells to 1 V/cell and charge them again. This should cure the voltage depression giving the cells back their ability to deliver current at higher volyages, say 1.2 V/cell.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:37 AM   #5
Baz

Alex, when you say, you 'test' the batteries, I wonder how you are doing that?

If you look at the other post on this forum about 'Battery testers', you'll see that testing batteries is difficult to geta true result.

Others have asked, how are you charging the batteries? The charger is very important. Some are good, and some are bad. Have a look at Steve's battery page for good advice.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:33 AM   #6

Thanks. You may be right. The response I received from Kodak was generic and not helpful. Maybe if I provide this info they might be able to tell me if there is some sort of firmware upgrade that would reduce the sensitivity of the camera.

I am using a Maha C204F charger with PowerEx 1800 mAh batteries. Would the battery conditioning feature serve to discharge the batteries and recharge them to the max voltage?
I also read yesterday that because this charger charges two batteries on one circuit, it stops charging when the first battery is fully charged. If the second battery was lagging behind, could this combined with the high sensitivity of the camera be causing the problem? If I upgrade to the Maha C-410FS charger and ensure that each battery is fully charged, do you think I would have batter results?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:21 AM   #7
blr

rosh400 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. You may be right. The response I received from Kodak was generic and not helpful. Maybe if I provide this info they might be able to tell me if there is some sort of firmware upgrade that would reduce the sensitivity of the camera.

I am using a Maha C204F charger with PowerEx 1800 mAh batteries. Would the battery conditioning feature serve to discharge the batteries and recharge them to the max voltage?
I also read yesterday that because this charger charges two batteries on one circuit, it stops charging when the first battery is fully charged. If the second battery was lagging behind, could this combined with the high sensitivity of the camera be causing the problem? If I upgrade to the Maha C-410FS charger and ensure that each battery is fully charged, do you think I would have batter results?

Please advise. Thanks.
I think conditioning in the charger is good. I'd also suggest that you move to a charger with four separate charging slots. I use Lenmar Mach1 Gamma and love it. It is the only fast charger I've ever used that keeps the cells cool, almost at room temperature: Mahas are popular but I hear that the fast 100 min charge heats the cells a bit too much
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:28 PM   #8

With the lenmar chargers, can I leave the batteries in once they are charged?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:39 AM   #9

After dome more reading, I decided to by a delkin lithium battery charger with two batteries. I hope this licks my problem. BTW, does anybody know if the Sony DSC-P73 take an RCR-V3? Please let me know. Thanks.