Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:05 AM   #1

Hi All,

I am trying to decide on which Charger + Rechargable Batteries to buy. My requirements are :

1. Suitable for Digital Camera with NiMH 2000mAh +

2. Should work in both 110V & 220 V range.

3. Charges withing around 2 hrs & is less expensive

I am thinking of buying Energizer 30 min charger... but the comparisons provided here donot include this brand.....

How does Energizer rate? it says input is DC INPUT 11-16V 3A...so this should work with an adapter against either 110V or 220V right?

Thanks in advance,

Srinath
srinathmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:43 AM   #2
Administrator

srinathmk wrote:
Quote:
How does Energizer rate? it says input is DC INPUT 11-16V 3A...so this should work with an adapter against either 110V or 220V right?

The only voltage spec they have is for the DC input from the transfomer. The voltage specs for the A/C input to their transformers is not specified in their product data sheets. So, it may or may not be a dual voltage transformer (some companies may include different ones, depending on where a product is being sold). You'd need to ask them if it's dual voltage or not.

http://data.energizer.com/SearchResult.aspx

You may want to consider looking at something like the Maha MHC401FS instead. They offer it in an International version that includes a dual voltage transformer, instead of the 110 volt only transformer that's in the standard package. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see packages including this transfomer:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs_buy.php3

This charger also lets you use a slower charge if desired to enhance battery life (versus the 100 minute fast charge time it also has). So, your batteries won't get as hot, and will likely last longer.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:39 PM   #3

Hello, the Maha C204W answers all your questions.

It can charge batteries 2000 mAh and higher, actually they are saying you shouldn't charge batteries below 2000 mAh in it. It works in both 110V and 220V as well as 50 and 60 hz(or something like that). It charges2 2000 mAh batteries in 1 hour and 4 2000 mAh batteries in 2 hours. As for the batteries above 2000mAh, well they will take a bit longer.

Also, it is VERY compact and it is among the best chargers on the market.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:14 PM   #4

I am happy I came across this forum...

I purchased a FUJIFILM E500 digicam for my neice who is visiting from overseas. I was doing some research for the right NiMH battery for the camera. Fuji makes their own rechargeable battery which can be used in the cradle and all that. However, FUJI does not give a whole lot of info on the battery. I wanted something with a little stamina and would last a bit longer. In my own Dimage 7 I use Monster and Quest batteries with fairly good results.

I didnt want to get something too powerful because I am afraid to damage the camera...I guess I wanted to find out if a battery can be too powerful??! Maybe not.

The MAHA charger suggested is perfect because of the auto switching for international voltage. What else will I need if I purchase the MAHA charger and batteries? Will I need different 'plugs'?

The MAHA adapter is a little more expensive compared to some of the other chargers and battery kits but might be worth it.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
estarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:17 PM   #5
Administrator

Thomas Distributing offers kits including some plug adapters (and sells some separately, too). See this page:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...arger-buy.php3

You can also find plug adapters at many Electronics Stores (for example, Radio Shack here in the U.S sells some).

Here is a site that sells them for almost anywhere you're likely to travel (just pick a country to see choices offered in adapters, etc.):

http://www.stayonline.com/destinations/index.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:14 PM   #6

Like JimC said you need the appropriate plug for the country, but I was told that if u get any adaptor it works... I already knew that there is a transformator inside the charger so it does make sense.

As for batteries being too powerful, no they can't, AA batteries deliver a current of about 1.2-1.5v(1.5 is for alkaline and 1.2 is for NiMH), so what is the mAh rating, its basicly the stamina of the battery. A battery of 1800 mAh, will provide 1800milliamper in 1 hour or 180milliamper in 10 hours, so increase the mAh rating and your increase the time between your charge(all usage being constant).
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:12 PM   #7

Quote:
... actually they are saying you shouldn't charge batteries below 2000 mAh in it.
I believe the C204W charger also accepts AAA batteries but aren't these batteries rated at only 750-850 mAh ?

How do they overcome the 2000mAh limitation?
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:10 AM   #8

You might want to look into Sony BCG-34HUE4 15-Minute Battery Charger. Amazon is selling for $32.99 and the charger includes 4 2500 mAh batteries.
jedi_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:26 AM   #9

virgil, the C204W charges AA batteries with a current of 2000mA, the AAA batteries with a current of 700mA.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:18 AM   #10

there is also a sony model slower but also multinational. model bcg-34hrmd. 4 channels and a refresh. it does not do a maintainence charge though. i have to say built like a tank compared to the others. i have both the 204w and this one. the disadvantage to these is in a car you must have an inverter since they only accept standard plugs. this is because the guts are internal not as an adapter external. i keep my 401 in the car with the cig adapter plug. i think i now have a charger for every room and vehicle.:?

i do prefer the the chargers with cords. this is because using in a car or other type situations allows it to be more flexible. wall wart types can be problems at times.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote