Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:04 PM   #1

Just wanted to let everyone know that these batteries are bad azz. I am using a Minolta 7Hi that usually indicates a full charge for less than 15 pictures using 2050 mAh batteries. These new energizers are still indicating a full charge after taking over 50 hi-res standard quality photos.

NOTE!!! When charged with the P.O.S. charger they came with they don't work better than any other battery. So I charged them in my Rayovac PS4 one hour charger and they work great.

later

quakebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:45 AM   #2
blr

quakebot wrote:
Quote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that these batteries are bad azz. I am using a Minolta 7Hi that usually indicates a full charge for less than 15 pictures using 2050 mAh batteries. These new energizers are still indicating a full charge after taking over 50 hi-res standard quality photos.

NOTE!!! When charged with the P.O.S. charger they came with they don't work better than any other battery. So I charged them in my Rayovac PS4 one hour charger and they work great.

later
Perhaps your POS charger does not deliver full charge to the cells. However, it has been reported by several users that the Rayovac PS4 while fast, heats up the cells too much, which shortensthe cell life. Touch your cells shortly after the fast charge has finished. If they feel hot almost too hot to touch it's not good.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:58 AM   #3

My original Nikon 3100's battery charger are just as bad. The 2 Sanyo 2100mah battery will only take 30 pics when fully charged by it. Got myself a Sony BCG-34HRD4 charger and the exact same battery took 120 pictures. And the new Sony 2300mah in the Sony charger gave me 300 pictures now

A 10x improvement.

tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:23 PM   #4

blr wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps your POS charger does not deliver full charge to the cells. However, it has been reported by several users that the Rayovac PS4 while fast, heats up the cells too much, which shortensthe cell life. Touch your cells shortly after the fast charge has finished. If they feel hot almost too hot to touch it's not good.

Well, shorter cell life, more pictures per charge.

Or longer cell life, fewer pictures per charge.

Kind of a toss up.
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:13 PM   #5
blr

KueH wrote:
Quote:
Well, shorter cell life, more pictures per charge.

Or longer cell life, fewer pictures per charge.

Kind of a toss up.
Well, in this particular case yes. However there are chargers that would both deliver a full or close to full charge and will keep the cells healty. I don't wanna scare quakebotbut I've heard horror stories about PS4, cells venting, wrap covers being molten. It doesn't sound very safe to me. Perhaps if one uses only a set or two in one camera it doesn't matter much if they don't last 500 cycles but say 100. For people that use many cells on almost everyday basis(like me) it is just not economical.

Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:17 PM   #6

Oh ok.... I haven't heard of any specific battery horror stories, other than the generalized statement of fast chargers give hotter batteries resulting in shorter battery life.

I think I'll stick with my Energizer charger CHM4FC until I can locate a Sony charger with LCD locally.

Maybe a quick charger with a car adpater option would be better.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:28 PM   #7

Hey, quakebot. How hot do the batteries get when you use the PS4 ?

Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:15 PM   #8

They get damn hot!!!! I have six sets of batteries and when I take pictures, I TAKE PICTURES!!!! The batteries are still cooling down and they are headed back to the charger. I am NOT going to miss a shot because it takes eight hours to charge the batteries. If someone tries to explain to me they can't take a picture because their batteries are dead,....well I can't tell you what happens next.

later

quakebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:49 PM   #9

Maybe a better option would be Rayovac's IC batteries and charger..... you can't get much faster than 15 minutes.

Well maybe ...... get a six-volt motorcycle battery charger and a 4 AA cell holder and experiment. You could get a charge down to 5 seconds or so ....

Seriously though, it's your money and you're happy. Period.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:37 AM   #10
blr

KueH wrote:
Quote:
Oh ok.... I haven't heard of any specific battery horror stories, other than the generalized statement of fast chargers give hotter batteries resulting in shorter battery life.

I think I'll stick with my Energizer charger CHM4FC until I can locate a Sony charger with LCD locally.

Maybe a quick charger with a car adpater option would be better.
Have a look at Lenmar Mach 1 Gamma. I got one of these about 6 months ago and I'm very happy with it. It charges 1-4 AA/AAA NiMH cells for just over an hour for 2100 mAh cells and they get just slightly warm, no overheating. IMO this is the best charger in terms of speed and safety.