Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 26, 2002, 10:12 PM   #1

Default These Batteries Suck!!

What's the deal with NiMh batteries? I just bought a D7Hi and have charged two sets of 4 batteries twice. Is this normal for brand new batteries?
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2002, 1:22 AM   #2

The 7, 7i and 7hi are known to EAT up power. And lots of it! It's normal for these cameras.

But how powerfull are you batteries ? For that camera you should have AT LEAST two sets of 1900mAh x 4. Check it you, maybe you batteries are less powerfull and then they will be emptied really fast.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 8:17 AM   #3

Klaus, I have one set of 1850s and one set of 2000s
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 8:25 AM   #4

Well, then I don't really know. It sounds like something is wrong with them, but it's difficult to say.

You should try rising the question in the Minolta forum. There's some superusers overthere! None mentioned - none forgotten!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 9:19 AM   #5

a little note on the supplied charger with the 7i it's pretty useful as a doorstop or to level off a chair thats way out. mine stays in its original wrapping in the 7Hi box as it also did in the 7i box
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 9:00 PM   #6
NHL

Steve Z

Go to your local Walmart and get this Rayovac 1hr charger:

http://www.rayovac.com/products/rech...imh_faqs.shtml

It's the best one, and I have tried and bought a lot of chargers (including Maha). This one is the only one that can do it in 1hr or less and get the batteries really warm (the way I like). Don't worry about battery life (the unit has a temp sensor), none of mine has gone south yet for over a year, and even if they do that's only $12 for another set!

I only need two sets of 1700mAh for my D7 a day, and I'm using it with a microdrive...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:34 AM   #7

Default Is the Rayovac 1-hr charger 110 or 220 volts?

NHL,

I read with interest your note on the Rayovac 1-hr charger. I checked out the review on Steve's Digicam website and I'm thinking of getting one (or two since the MB-5700 battery pack on my Nikon Coolpix 5700 uses 6 batteries). I just need to know if the voltage on the power supply is 110 or 110/220 or variable. I live in Asia where the voltages are 220 but do plan on travelling to the USA sometime next year.

Thanks,
Junbo
junbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 7:30 AM   #8
NHL

The Rayovac 1-hr charger is powered like most charger of this type by a HEFTY external 110Vac/12Vdc @ 1.5A transformer. No wonder it can 'cook' the batteries! (hey everyone asked for more power right?).

It comes with a 12Vdc cord to charge speedily with a car battery as well, so I don't think you'll have a problem finding a 220Vac/12Vdc, 1.5A transformer for use in your country with this unit. They do have international model as well, but it's not carried by Walmart or Target.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 8:17 PM   #9
NHL

Default Batteries for newbie!

Quote:
The best chargers are those that monitor and charge each cell individually, and use a high charging current. These chargers monitor the temperature of the cells, and use a pulse current to monitor the charging. An example is the Rayovac PS4 charger. Using a charger like this, you will be able to identify individual cells that are having trouble.

The next best charger type charges the cells in pairs. An example is the Maha 204 charger. This type of charger is not quite as good because it can't detect a single bad cell in a pair, but it is still a pretty good charger.
http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...r_newbies.html
Old Nov 25, 2002, 11:53 PM   #10

Steve Z..........Did you ever get better results with your batteries? I had the Dimage 5 and found I had the same problem INITIALLY. However, at the time I was new to NiMH batteries and didn't realize that they HAVE to be run through 3 or more charge-and-discharge cycles before they achieve their full power. After doing this, the new NiMH batteries were very satisfactory for me.

I can't concur with sjms on the lameness of the Quest charger Minolta included with my Dimage 5. I didn't realize it was going to come with a charger so I had orderred a MaHa C204 F at the same time as the camera and used that exclusively.....and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Larry
jl3comp is offline   Reply With Quote