Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:39 AM   #1

Has anyone tried the Energizer 30 minute charger? It has a trickle charge of 50 mA once initial charge is complete. I believe the initial output is 4000 mA, which results in 2000 mAh batteries charging fully in 30 minutes. Who has tried this charger?

Energizer now also has a 15 minute charger which uses their regular NiMH batteries,NOT specially constructed batteries like the Rayovac 15 minute version.

Any experience with either charger is invited.

Thanks.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:49 PM   #2
blr

EOS RT wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone tried the Energizer 30 minute charger? It has a trickle charge of 50 mA once initial charge is complete. I believe the initial output is 4000 mA, which results in 2000 mAh batteries charging fully in 30 minutes. Who has tried this charger?

Energizer now also has a 15 minute charger which uses their regular NiMH batteries,NOT specially constructed batteries like the Rayovac 15 minute version.

Any experience with either charger is invited.

Thanks.
Haven't used any of these, and if I were I'd wouldn't buy them. Charging NiMH cells faster than 1 hour cannot be good for them. Most manufacturers recommend charging at 1C (i.e. 2000 mA for 2000 mAh cells) as the maximum charging current
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:17 PM   #3

We use an Energizer 30min charger at work for about 30 NIMH AA's. We switched to it from a 1 hour and a 5 hour charger about three months ago, as we were getting more and more cameras to display and demo.

On the short-term, I haven't noticed any difference as far as power duration and recharge cycles go but there is just not enough data yet on what happens to Nickel based chemistry when charged faster than one hour.

NIMH does benefit from fast charging (it avoids the memory effect caused by crystal formation during slow-charging) but who knows what the new uber-chargers will do.

I'm guessing that blr is right to indicate concern over the lifetime of the battery. It will definitely be reduced somewhat, as our 30min charger heats the batteries a little more than they were in the 1 hour and 5 hour units. How much of a reduction would require the scientific method.
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote