Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:08 PM   #1

I love the flash for my E-1 system, but HATE how it chews up batteries for breakfast. After about 50 pictures, I'm seriously delayed waiting for the flash to charge.

Is there a source out there that sells big power supplies...like the kind that you wear on a belt so that you can have relatively endless and instant flash power?

Thanks in advance!

drmount
drmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:21 PM   #2
blr

drmount wrote:
Quote:
I love the flash for my E-1 system, but HATE how it chews up batteries for breakfast. After about 50 pictures, I'm seriously delayed waiting for the flash to charge.

Is there a source out there that sells big power supplies...like the kind that you wear on a belt so that you can have relatively endless and instant flash power?

Thanks in advance!

drmount
Do you use alkaline or rechargeable cells with the flash? If you use alkalines, try some high capacity NiMH rechargeable cells. These will charge the flash faster than even fresh alkalines and will last longer. I use NiMH with my external Soligor flash and they charge quite fast (about 3 sec) even after 100 shots. NiCd will charge the flash slightly faster (2.5 sec) but don't last nearly as long as NiMH cells.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 2:37 AM   #3

no no no...I've used all the different kinds of batteries. The best ones cost about $10 and I burn through them after around 150 pictures. I don't want to play with $10/session AND have to wait for multiple seconds for the flash to charge. I want a powersource I can connect to.

Thanks!

drmount
drmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:07 PM   #4

I use a 40W Digital Camera Battery ($263 @ B&H) and a regular Nikon cable for it ($87 @ B&H). Got over 1000 flashes, mixed full power and less than full power pops, as well as getting through more than 2 and a half weddings w/o recharging it. If that's not enough for you, there's the 80W version, and if THAT is not enough, wait until next year for their lithium polymer version with 160W :-)

But you'll still need AA rechargeables for the flash's electronic operations (zoom, exposure sensor, etc), as the Digital Camera Battery only provides high voltage to charge the capacitors in the flash.

Humm, I just checked and currently there's no cable for Olympus flashes...
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote