Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:14 PM   #1

Hi. Fully charged NiMH battery. If left unused, it seems to lost charge REAL FAST. After just 3 or 4 days laying around, it willtake about a dozen pic before giving up. And that'sa battery which can take >100 picswhen freshly charged. Is that normal? I seems to read somewhere that it will only lose 1% per day and going by that rate, I can probably left it for months unused.

tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2004, 1:59 AM   #2

The number I have read is 5%/day. Even at that your discharge seems excessive.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 6:48 PM   #3

I have read various numbers for daily discharge and the one I remember is 1%/day... I do know that non of the numbers I've heard of are as high as 5%/day and I can definitively say that 5% is excessive based on personnal experience.

Now for the real question... It is definitively not normal. I don't know, what is the brand of your batteries and of your charger.

Based on personnal experience, I had 2 new sets of batteries, the 1st one I used I charged it, leaving it on the charger for 24hrs like it is advised for 1st use(I have a charger that does trickle charge when charge is complete), my batteries lasted me over 200 shots. My other set was on the charger but for some reasons I had to take them out... I did not put them back on the charger and they were left like that for between 5-14 days and they are in my camera and I am at 230 shots now. I suspect that I had a battery which was sort of defect(but not dramatically)in my 1st set, but my batteries are still going! So what you are experiencing is truly weird.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 8:22 PM   #4

If you leave the camera in a warm place like the glove compartment of your car the batteries will completely discharge fairly quickly. The rate is temperature dependent. But even in a hot glove compartment your full discharge in 3 or 4 days is excessive. My guess is that the camera is draining some power when turned off. All cameras drain a little to keep the date and such, but the power drain is extremely small. I would store the batteries for 4 days out of the camera and see if they don't have more power. If the camera is draining power it might need service if it is still under warranty.

Quote:
I suspect that I had a battery which was sort of defect(but not dramatically) in my 1st set, but my batteries are still going! So what you are experiencing is truly weird.
Many NiMH for some reason get only about half of the shots after the first charge that they will eventually get after being charged a few times. I doubt they are defective.

I have 4 sets (4 ea) of PowerX batteries and a Maha charger. I find the self-discharge rate high enough to be irritating. I've probably duplicated Houdini's trick of giving someone too much rope to tie him up properly. I did have a second charger but recently gave one and my 5th set of batteries to my daughter. My first digital was a battery hog.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:43 PM   #5
Baz

Hi Tourist. When you say "if left unused" do you mean in the camera?

I imagine so.As others have said, this is very unusual. But it is a known problem for one camera that may develop a fault that can drain one cell in the camera.

What camera are you using Tourist?
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 6:48 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. Here's the detail.

Nikon 3100. All unused batteries NOT kept in camera and NOT in the charger after finished charging. Just left in the room. Charger is the Sony BCG-34HRD4. It charge 2-AAfor 135 minutes & 4-AA for 270 minutes. Have refresh function that took 4.5hrs.

Sanyo 2100mah. Not brand new. This is the one that only last for 30-pics using Nikon's own junk charger. Sony charger freshly charged gave me 100-pics.But left charged and unused for 4-days, will only take about 20-pics.

Energizer 2100mah. Not brand new. Freshly charged using Nikon charger took 130-pics. Freshly charged by Sony and left unused for 4 days, 10-pics.

Nikon 2100mah. Same story.

Sony 2300mah. Brand new. 1st charge with Sony charger gave me 300-pics. Left unused for about 4-days and it seems fine so far.

The only thing I can think of is that the Sanyo/Energizer/Nikon had been using the Nikon junk charger for about a year (maybe 30/50-charge cycles) now so may be they are on their way out?

Can anybody makes any sense of these fast self-discharge rates?

tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 9:58 PM   #7

"Proper" storage technique for charged batteries is to use the refridgerator. This minimizes the self-discharge. (Remember when we used to use film)
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:14 AM   #8
blr

tourist wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Here's the detail.

Nikon 3100. All unused batteries NOT kept in camera and NOT in the charger after finished charging. Just left in the room. Charger is the Sony BCG-34HRD4. It charge 2-AAfor 135 minutes & 4-AA for 270 minutes. Have refresh function that took 4.5hrs.

Sanyo 2100mah. Not brand new. This is the one that only last for 30-pics using Nikon's own junk charger. Sony charger freshly charged gave me 100-pics.But left charged and unused for 4-days, will only take about 20-pics.

Energizer 2100mah. Not brand new. Freshly charged using Nikon charger took 130-pics. Freshly charged by Sony and left unused for 4 days, 10-pics.

Nikon 2100mah. Same story.

Sony 2300mah. Brand new. 1st charge with Sony charger gave me 300-pics. Left unused for about 4-days and it seems fine so far.

The only thing I can think of is that the Sanyo/Energizer/Nikon had been using the Nikon junk charger for about a year (maybe 30/50-charge cycles) now so may be they are on their way out?

Can anybody makes any sense of these fast self-discharge rates?

Looks like your Nikon charger has damaged the cells that has been charged in it. One of the signs of cell damage is higher self discharge rate. I remembeer when I had the Coolpix 3200, which I believe uses the same small charger, my cells getting quite hot in it, so it overcharges them somewhat. You'll be best of getting rid of these cells and using your new ones. Good that you pointed it out. Looks like these supplied chargers are not good at all.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:45 AM   #9

a Nimh cell will discharge upwards of 25% in the first 24hrs off a charger. after that it is incremental 1-2% per day with age and use. so those numbers aren't that far off.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:03 PM   #10
blr

sjms wrote:
Quote:
a Nimh cell will discharge upwards of 25% in the first 24hrs off a charger. after that it is incremental 1-2% per day with age and use. so those numbers aren't that far off.
I think the figure for the intial self discharge usually cited is something like 10% for the first 24 hours, followed by 1-2 % per day at room temperature. I've measured something like 8-12% for 24 hours on healty cells stored at 20C.

I have no problem picking up my cameras after a month storage and get close to the half of what the battery would give me fresh off the charger.

At any reasonable rate, what tourist is reporting is too bad to be called a normal performance.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote