Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:42 AM   #1

I've read the link on:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

It's a very good link, and it's helped me to learn more about rechargables and charges, but I would like to know:

1. Disregarding price, which type of batter would be better, a NiMH or a Lithium?

2. What is the best NiMH's available? What is the best Lithium available?

3. In choosing between NiMH's, will a 2450mAh or 2500mAh always outperform a 2000mAh?

4. I've read a little about rapid chargers, and the last thing I want is a charger that will cause the battery to run hot. I am looking into the ANsmann Deluxe "Energy 16." Is this a good charger? How long does it take to complete a charge? Are there any other non-rapid chargers that you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Scott

sdgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:07 AM   #2

What kind of camera do you have? Not all can use the lithium option.

In general you do fine with NiMH if you use your camera regularly and have a couple of sets. NiMH have a higher self-discharge rate and if you leave the camera sitting for weeks you need to install a freshly charged set or your power will be limited. The lithium batteries don't lose their charge very fast. Spares are generally cheaper in NiMH.

Maha chargers from Thomas Distributing are highly thought of for NiMH. If your camera gives you the choice I would go with the lithium. You can go on a trip with fully charged battery and spare keeping nearly full power until you use them. But that option is a little pricier.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:19 AM   #3

I have a Nikon D70.

You mentioned the Maha Chargers. Bear in mind that I don't want hot batteries, so I want to avoid a rapid charger.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:51 AM   #4
Administrator

The D70 uses a proprietary Li-ion battery pack, you can't use anything else. All you really need is a second EN-EL3 battery pack as a backup spare, you got the rapid charger with the camera outfit. Now if you have the SB600 or SB800 Speedlight, these flash units take AA batteries and you can use NiMH cells in them. I recommend the 2400 or 2500mAh NiMH batteries and the Maha C-204W or C-401FS charger.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:00 PM   #5

Hi Steve,

I should have mentioned that I have the SB-800, which is why I was checking out NiMH's. I'm currently leaning towards the iPower 2500 mAH's.

As far as the C-401FS, it only holds 4 AA batteries. I'm leaning towards the "Energy 16" because I also use D, C, and AAA's, as well as AA's.

Thanks,
Scott