Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:27 PM   #1

I am looking for more powerfull batteries for my sony cybershot w1, i currenly have the standard 2100mah batteries and changer that it came with. Is it possible to get more powerful ones and what do you guys recommend
Vinny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2004, 5:15 PM   #2

Yes it is possible to get more "powerful" batteries, if by powerful you mean batteries with more mAh. The best u can have the bigger number of mAh in a good battery. But it does not stop there, the quality of the charger also matters.

I'd suggest some Powerex 2300mAh(even tho there are 2500mAh from other brands) or maybe you can wait for the next release from Powerex.

As for the charger, getting a charger that charges completly your batteries will be the equivalent of getting batteries with more mAh. Of course that depends on the recharge percentage of the charger you own. Here is a site that gives u an idea of what some chargers can do, maybe yours is included: http://ripvan100.com/crypto-chargers.htm

For my part, I'd suggest 3 chargers, the Maha C204W, Maha C401FS or the Lightning Pack 4000N; I personally own the C204W and am very pleased with it.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:51 PM   #3

I also have a DSC-W1, and got some Eveready NiMH 2500mAh batteries.

I saw in the ripvan100 article that the Sony BCG34 has no trickle mode, and draws current from batteriesleft in the charger when off or fully charged.

Does the SOny BS-CS2 charger included with the DSC-W1 have the same "flaws"?

I also have a RayOVac PS1 - would this be a better charger for the Evereadys? I think it was primarily designed for lower rating batteries (1200-1600mAh) so I worry that it charges too slowly which I understand is not good for NiMH's.
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:23 AM   #4

Too slowly does not mean 4 or 8 hours... If I am not mistaken, it means more like 16 or 24 hours. I'm not sure in how much time your PS1 would charge 2500 mAh batteries since I do not know the current it delivers per hours. You could check it behind your charger. But if its a really old charge, I believe it won't trickle charge, but as long as it is not timer based, it will not damage your cells.

For example, my C204W charger, charges 2 batteries at 2000 mA per hour, so if I put 2 2000mAh batteries, they will be charged within 1 hour. For 4 batteries, it drops to 1000mA per battery per hour, so 2 hours for 2000 mAh batteries. It is not recommended for batteries below 2000mAh, but will charge any batteries above 2000 mAh.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Too slowly does not mean 4 or 8 hours... If I am not mistaken, it means more like 16 or 24 hours. I'm not sure in how much time your PS1 would charge 2500 mAh batteries since I do not know the current it delivers per hours. You could check it behind your charger. But if its a really old charge, I believe it won't trickle charge, but as long as it is not timer based, it will not damage your cells.
Thanks for theideas. So it's the timer that could really cause problems for very slow charging ...

I foundthe PS1spec sheet from Ray-O-Vac at http://www.rayovac.com/BusinessPartn...s/PS1_spec.pdfand it states:

Quote:
Average Main Charge Current:
Quote:
Pulsating DC

[align=left]215
± 32 mA (1 cell)[/align]
[align=left]168
± 30 mA (4 cells)[/align]

[align=left]
Average Maintenance Current: Pulsating DC[/align]
[align=left]65
± 20 mA (1 cell)[/align]
[align=left]60
± 20 mA (4 cells)[/align]

[align=left]
Operating Temperature Range: 0° to 50°C[/align]

[align=left]
Input: 115 VAC, 60Hz, 6 Watt – Two Blade Flip Plug[/align]

[align=left]
Back-Up Charge Termination Timer:[/align]
[align=left]
12 hours ± 1%, (15 hours for RAM)[/align]

[align=left]
Nominal Charge Time (in hours at room temp.):[/align]
[align=left]
RAM / NiCd / NiMH[/align]
[align=left]AAA: 2–5 / 2 / 6-9[/align]
[align=left]AA : 3–7 / 5–8 / 8-12[/align]
[align=left]
[/align]
[align=left]LED Functions: Four red LED's indicate charging status of each cell.[/align]

[align=left]
LED Status Condition[/align]
[align=left]OnCharge cycle in progress[/align]
[align=left]OffCharge cycle complete (continuous maintenance current applied until cell is removed)[/align]

[align=left]
SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION LIMITS OUTPUT CURRENT TO LESS THAN 120 mA[/align]

Assuming charging time is roughly mAH rating divided by charging current... :?

2500 mAH / [215 mA +/- 15%] (from 32mA) is about 11.6 (+2/-1.5) hrs. which is way too close to the 12hr termination timer... and this is one battery at a time !

With all 4 installed, it becomes 2500 mAH / [168 mA +/- 18%] (from 30mA) is about 14.9 (+3.2/-2.3) hrs. which is definitely affected by the timer !

So this indicates the PS1 can ONLY properly charge up to 1600-2000 mAH rechargeable batteries...:?

virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote