Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:20 AM   #11

Nicolas wrote:
Quote:
jedi_master wrote:
Quote:
Maha folks must be
shitting their pants now that you have 15 minute charger
from Energizer plus this cool charger.

Actually, that charger does look interesting, but I don't get how Maha should be so worried... Their C204W charger(which I have) will charge 2 cells at 2000 mA, compared to 1800 for the La Crosse one, when charging 4, both will go to 1000 mA. The La Crosse has an AC adapter which isn't so convenient for travelling; whereas, the C204W has an internal transformer so you only have a "traditionnal" plug to carry around, takes less space in your luggage. Also, the La Crosse does not have a fan, so the batteries are likely to be hotter(sure enough it will stop charging at 53°C)... The Maha has a fan. I'm not saying the La Crosse charge is crap, just saying that in many ways Maha is not behind this charger.

Before having my mind totally made up, I'll wait for Dave at Imaging-ressource.com to test this charger, because IMHO he has the most impartial way to test chargers.

Now, for the 15 minutes charger, I can't see under what circumstances I'd need a 15 minutes charger. Besides the fact that I am unsure I'd trust any charger that takes less than 1 hour, when I need to charge batteries its cuz I am home or in my hotel room and I will be there before going to shoot something, so I will be able to charge my batteries over night for sure. I get well over 400 shots with 1 set of batteries and with 2 sets, I can't see myself running out of power in a day and if I were planning to and that I had access to a charger, it would take me more than 2 hours to drain 1 set, which is enough time for the other set to recharge properly.
I have looked into C204W before I decided to buy C401FS. Frankly, I didn't want to buy any more charger that can only charge in pairs. It makes the battery management difficult. Some batteries will be under charged and under performed. Your set of batteries will be as good as the weakest battery.

C401FS has 4 independent charging circuits so it can charge each battery independently which is great. However, C401FS can only charge at 300 mAh (slow) or 1000 mAh (fast). The battery is cool in slow mode but it takes 8 hrs for my 2500 mAh batteries. The fast mode can charge in 2.5 hrs but the battery gets quite hot. I always wanted something in between. The BC-900 is perfect because it can charge at 200, 500, 700, 1000, and 1800. Also, it has 4 independent charging circuits which is the type of charger I'll only buy now. Sure, a fan would be nice but the BC-900 will stop temporary when the battery reaches 55C and resume after the battery gets cooled down.

The real selling point for the BC-900 for me was its ability to revive the battery and easily identify the bad battery. It can also be used to evaluate other chargers (e.g. 15 minute charger) as well as various battery brands which is great because I never trust the battery rating from the manufacture. Having said all of that, I would probably buy a 15 minute charger if all I want to do is to charge. As you may aware, nimh battery gets self discharged as soon as you remove from the charger. So 15 minute charger will allow me to charge my batteries the moment I need. I can even charge it in my car while driving so I don't care if it can only charge 85% of the capacity. Hell, I can charge 8 batteries in 30 minutes. I heard someone is already coming out with 8 minute charger. I guess we will be spending money buying more charger.
jedi_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:37 PM   #12

I am JSBurlys

I would be happy to provide one for review. If a bonafide reviewer would like one to keep such as Steve or Dave. I would be happy to donate one for a review. Perhaps someone can e-mail me the info to get this done. Since shipping is included in the price, I think I am to low priced seller of these anywhere online.

Hi Jedi, I am so glad ya like this charger.

I need to spend more time here to better learn how to use my camera and learn to take product pics.

Thanks

Jon

JonSidneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:13 PM   #13

I was lucky enough to be one of the first to use the versatile LaCross charger and I've virtually retired my other chargers. My Maha chargers would cook my cells and the voltage of the cells off the charger was too high and slowly ruining my cells. Eventually one of my Maha paired cell banks quit working so I use it as a once in a while, if I have to, charger. The LaCrosse has the ability to charge cells at different rates inthe individualbanksso you can simmer or boil your cells; your choice.

I used to have problems with rechargeable cells not giving me decent operating times with my digital camera. Using the LaCrosse charger I don't have this problem anymore. Why? Because I've refreshed andtested individual cells to find out the capacity of each cell. Then I paired the closely matchedcellsto work in my camera.A person normally grabs cells from the same company, throw the cells in a camera and go. Being unmatched the cells have different current capacities. So the cells in the camera will work butonly until the weakest cell quits then the camera dies. If you accidentlyleave a device with those unmatched cells on there is a high probabilty of reverse charging the weak cell below the minimum voltage requirementwhich makes the weak cell even weaker and more damageduntil that cell doesn't work anymore. With matched cells my camera uses the cells equally and does not have the problem of the weakest cell stopping my camera. With matched cells I believe I have a 40% longer run time with my camera.

Matching cells is easy with the LaCrosse. It is a charger to keep!
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:36 PM   #14

The thread (and researching the links) sold me. I just ordered one and will be anxious to try it with my multitude of camera batteries. They range from some older 1200 > 2100 (I know . . . its time to upgrade them). Of course it will be a different story as soon as I take the plunge with a Canon 20D . . . new camera, new game.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:02 PM   #15

I would still like to provide on for review by a bonified reviewer if I could figure out how to go about doing this.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:14 AM   #16

JonSidneyB wrote:
Quote:
I would still like to provide on for review by a bonified reviewer if I could figure out how to go about doing this.
I hope someone takes you up on your offer. Soon I should receive mine from your company and am quite anxious to receive it. My good ole Radio Shack charger has recently gone south and though it served its purpose for the regular AA charging needs, it was never constructed for the type of use it has been getting. Being a gadget freak, I always love technology advances and the opportunity to "play" with them. I have not read a thread that did not give a positive opinion of the charger.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 3:40 PM   #17
Administrator

Just recv'd the LaCrosse BC900 charger, very interesting. Definitely lets you know more about what's going on than any charger I've ever used before. I am a big fan of the four-separate charge circuits as this insures properly charged cells and does not require them to be used/charged as pairs. And it lets youset the charging current from 200-1800mAh per cell. If time permits I will review it but we are expecting to be buried in new cameras to review any day now. Here's a pic and some info on the charger's LCD displays.

Got mine from Thomas-Distributing for $52.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:08 PM   #18

First, great to see Steve will be eventually providing a review of the charger. Second, I received mine today and started with four of my oldest batteries. One immediately showed "Null" so I know that was the culprit I had been looking for. Rather than going through a process of elimination routine I kept grabbing another set for the s5000. Tried to refresh it but to no avail. Now it is properly disposed of. Neat feature. Presently I am on my second set of AA batteries. I am using the reconditioning feature so I'll let these go over night. Another gadget? Without the charger I would be sunk! The carry case is a neat addition since I take the charger for traveling. Better than putting it in my suitcase.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 2:06 AM   #19

steve wrote:
Quote:
Definitely lets you know more about what's going on than any charger I've ever used before.
This looks like a superb instrument - I want one. I expect it to the cross the pond to the UK in a few years' time at three times the price.

Note that it measures the capacity by charging a cell and then measuring how much chargeit delivers on discharge.This is what those of us in the know have suggested is the only reliable way. It still won't tell you much charge you'll get under your particular discharge regime, but it'll be much the best measurement you'll get.

Alan T (ex-research electrochemist)
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 8:48 AM   #20

BrierS

I am guessing that yours has already arrived. Sorry about the outer packaging being dirty. These empty boxes has set for awhile. I ran out of the newer boxes I ship in. The inside of the boxes were clean so your item didn't get disturbed at all, the outside was a little spotted however