Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:03 PM   #21

Steve,

I would have given you a set for review. My price is also $52.00 but that is shipped. How can I get an ad on this forum. I sent email but did not get a responce yet.

Thanks

Jon
JonSidneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:10 AM   #22

For those of you out there who have already gotten their hands on the La Crosse charger, how do you think this charger would match up compared to the Maha C-401FS, which according to Steve's review was the last best charger on the market?
xiaotingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:47 AM   #23

JonSidneyB wrote:
Quote:
BrierS

I am guessing that yours has already arrived. Sorry about the outer packaging being dirty. These empty boxes has set for awhile. I ran out of the newer boxes I ship in. The inside of the boxes were clean so your item didn't get disturbed at all, the outside was a little spotted however
When it arrived it looked great. Actually, I didin't even notice the outside of the package. My interest was on the inside. Since arrival, it has hardly had a chance to rest. :-) I am soon about to run out of batteries to refresh/charge so I had better get outside this weekend to do some photography in the cold.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I read the post prior to this one was asking how people thought the LaCrosse would compare to the Maha C401FS . . . before ordering the LaCrosse I read all of the reviews I could. I compared what was being stated about the various chargers and decided the LaCrosse was where I would invest my charger money. No regrets here.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:46 AM   #24

Hi can someone please explain to me the importance of the "Discharge" function in this new lacrosse BC-900 charger? Does this meanI should should use this discharge function everytime I recharge my batteries? Do all other battery chargers, specifically the MAHA C401FS alsodischarge the batteries first before recharging them? Thanks
xiaotingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:05 AM   #25

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
This looks like a superb instrument - I want one. I expect it to the cross the pond to the UK in a few years' time at three times the price.

Alan T (ex-research electrochemist)
On the otherhand, one of us could get you one and ship it over at today's cost. I don't know what the pond jumping postage would be . . . :-)

Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:57 PM   #26

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between this new LaCrosse BC-900and the Maha C401FS. I see whereSteve has ranked the BC-900 as his new favorite chargerwhereas the C401FS had been a previous favorite.

What I'm looking for is a simple charger withseparate charging circuits. It's primary use will be for my Powershot A75 which uses 4 AAs at a time.

The BC-900 has some very nice feature but I'm wondering if the features are too much for what I need. I'm not sure if I even understand all the terminology associated with it's displays. I just want to be able to pop the batteries in the charger and get the maximum charge from them. I still need to do more research on the charging/recharging/draining aspects associated with rechargable batteries.

I'm still trying to read up on the hot vs. cold charge features of the C401FS and determine if if those are features that I need or not. Is one charging type better than the other?

Basically, I'm completely stumped on what I thought would be a simple decision but in doing my homework I found that there's more t han meets the eye when it comes tochargers.

If anyone could offer a suggestion/recommendation of which would best meet my requirements, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.
garyinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:44 PM   #27

Garyinri,

I have a Maha C204F, which I no longer use, because the batteries would get quite hot (not a real good thing). From what I've read, the C401FS also cooks batteries in the fast charge mode, but doesn't in the slow mode (which kinda defeats the purpose of buying a fast charger - no?). Check out a couple links:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM/

http://www.crypto.com/chargers/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...ha_c401fs.html

http://www.hubgiant.com/p_chg2000PDSC.html

I have four of the Hubgiant CHG2000PDSC chargers, and haven't had a problem with them. They are fast, keep the batteries cool, are small and light, and don't need a transformer plug. I got the last one on ebay, along with eight Nexcell 2400 mAh batteries for $20.99 delivered.

The new Maha C204W and the La Crosse BC-900 look pretty good, but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money on a charger.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:22 AM   #28
Administrator

xiaotingle wrote:
Quote:
Hi can someone please explain to me the importance of the "Discharge" function in this new lacrosse BC-900 charger? Does this meanI should should use this discharge function everytime I recharge my batteries? Do all other battery chargers, specifically the MAHA C401FS alsodischarge the batteries first before recharging them? Thanks

Discharge is used mostly for older NiCd type batteries but can also be useful with NiMH batteries if they don't seem to be holding a charge as good as they used to. The BC-900 "refresh" feature is great for old cells, it will charge/discharge/recharge up to20 times to get a cell back to maximum.

The default charge current is 200mAh which is slow but if you two or more sets of batteries - slow is better for the longevity of the cells and if you have another set then you probably won't need the others for a while anyway. If you want fast all you have to do is crank up the charge current.

Here's a diagram that might help explain the displays and modes:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:52 PM   #29

I'd sure buy a LaCrosse if I could get one without all the extra stuff. I don't need a bunch of adapters, batteries and travel bag. Why don't they have just the charger for sale.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'll have to keep my Kodak $10 charger a little longer, I guess.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote