Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 16, 2005, 4:41 AM   #11

I'll second that re slow self discharge with Uniross. I've been very impressed with the 2 sets of 4x2100mAH Uniross batteries I bought 15 months ago. I can charge a set up and perhaps not use them for a month and they still give a good runtime when put in the camera and still perform the same as when new. I use a Uniross 1-2hr smart charger, not the best around as it doesn't have individual cell monitoring, but good enough if you keep batteries in sets and fully discharge them occasionally to keep them balanced.

Olympus batteries are good for slow self discharge as well in this respect, I think they're made by Sanyo, but in my case are only 1700mAH, still enough for 3hrs with a C750.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 5:04 PM   #12

Hi, just thought I'd put my two cents worth in here.
Sanyo are widely considered by experts in the area of battery technology to be the best in the business.
Sanyo are almost always the first to market with the higher capacity batteries and often they manufacture the batteries sold by other companies.
If you want the best cell possible then always choose Sanyo, or atleast a Sanyo manufactured cell. Of course they tend to be a little more expensive than the other brands.
And no I'm definitely not working for Sanyo!
An interesting fact is that nearly all top level electric radio control car racers use Sanyo cells. This is simply because the other manufacturers simply don't sell cells capable of matching the performance of the Sanyo cells.
Hellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 9:56 AM   #13
blr

Hellman wrote:
Quote:
Hi, just thought I'd put my two cents worth in here.
Sanyo are widely considered by experts in the area of battery technology to be the best in the business.
Sanyo are almost always the first to market with the higher capacity batteries and often they manufacture the batteries sold by other companies.
If you want the best cell possible then always choose Sanyo, or atleast a Sanyo manufactured cell. Of course they tend to be a little more expensive than the other brands.
And no I'm definitely not working for Sanyo!
An interesting fact is that nearly all top level electric radio control car racers use Sanyo cells. This is simply because the other manufacturers simply don't sell cells capable of matching the performance of the Sanyo cells.
I agree 100%. I've used Sanyo cells for close to 5 years now and they were always performing to specs. As you say many other manufacturers use rebranded Sanyo cells. The ones I have seen so far are: Kodak, Olympus, Energizer, Varta, Sony and Canon. I still use some Sanyo 1700 mAh cells which are 3 years old, recharged several hundred times and still deliver over 95% of their capacity compered to when new, that's impressive. In fact, I just ordered 4 new 1700 mAh Sanyo industrial grades from RipVan 100.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:05 AM   #14
Administrator

The new Ansmann NiMH batteries are now up to 2600mAh and I've been told that the new Maha 2500mAh cells were very conservatively labeled and usually produce 2500-2700mAh of current.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote