Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 28, 2002, 12:29 AM   #1

Default On the Verge of Breaking My D-40Z! HELP!

please help me, i am so desperate.

Olympus D-40Z
Sony 1 Hour Advanced Power Charger (BCG-34HNB2)
Energizer NiMH Rechargeable Batteries (NH15-AA, 1.2V, 1700mAh)

i first bought the Sony charger and used the Sony batteries that came with it for my Olympus D-40Z, but the battries wouldn't last for 5 pictures, and the camera shut down.

so i went out and bought another set of Energizer rechargeable batteries, same thing happened.

both brands of batteries work just fine on my portable CD player.

so i figured the camera might be faulty, got it exchanged, but same thing happened again, what is going on?

obviously, most people would suggest that the next thing to replace, naturally, would be the charger, but the batteries worked fine on my portable CD player!

the only thing that works right now is the CR-V3 battery supplied by Olympus, but they are expensive.

what should i do? i am on a trip, and i need to take pictures desperately!
TestDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2002, 9:27 AM   #2

Sounds like the charger is defective. Your camera uses much more current than a CD player. If the camera works with the lithium and/or alkalines but not rechargables, the problem has to be with the charger/batteries, but since you tried new rechargables it must be the charger.

Your camera can't tell the differance between battery types. Voltage is voltage and amperage is amperage no matter what source. Some sources provide higher mAh ratings, but thats another story. 1700 mAh batteries should last for more than 5 shots IF properly charged.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:10 AM   #3

Actually, the problem may be the 1.2 V NiMH batteries. If the camera is designed for 1.5 V alkaline batteries, the lower voltage of the NiMH batteries may be a problem. The camera's circuitry believes that the batteries are failing, because the voltage is too low. I have the exact same problem with my Epson PhotoPC 800. Getting high amperage NiMH batteries helps a little (because they might last a bit longer before the voltage drops to "bad" levels), but what the camera really wants is 1.5 V batteries.
tetrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 3:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrault
Actually, the problem may be the 1.2 V NiMH batteries. If the camera is designed for 1.5 V alkaline batteries, the lower voltage of the NiMH batteries may be a problem. The camera's circuitry believes that the batteries are failing, because the voltage is too low. I have the exact same problem with my Epson PhotoPC 800. Getting high amperage NiMH batteries helps a little (because they might last a bit longer before the voltage drops to "bad" levels), but what the camera really wants is 1.5 V batteries.
but i haven't seen any 1.5V NiMH batteries though......
Old Dec 2, 2002, 3:31 PM   #5

I doubt the battery voltage is causing the problem.

Does the battery indicator show less than a full battery?

I have two Olympus digital cameras. I use NiMH 1.2V 1600 and 1700 mAh batteries with no problems. They should work fine in any Olympus camera. Check the manual. It should state that NiMH batteries are OK to use.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:38 PM   #6

What are your results if put standard AA batteries in your camera?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 8:22 PM   #7

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/d40.html

Quote:
Power Supply:
Main Power Source: 1 x LB-01 (CR-3V) Lithium battery (included) 2 x AA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries, 2 x AA Lithium batteries,2xAANiCD rechargeable batteries, 2 x AA Alkaline batteries (emergency use only), (Manganese batteries cannot be used)AC Power: E-7AU AC adapter 3.4 Volt (optional)
What we know is the camera is designed for all those type of batteries.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:06 PM   #8

I quickest way to tell if the charger is at fault would be to charge your batteries in a friends charger. Should tell you once and for all if your's is the culprit.
jl3comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 9:27 PM   #9

first of all, i like to thank everyone for all the helps.

as much as i hate to admit it, the battery charger might be the problem cuz everything else works. i was in denial cuz i spent $35 on that Sony charger (which looks great with its metallic silverish look, but works like shit, well, for me anyway).

anyway, i did a little comparison, and my Sony 1 Hour Advanced Power Charger (BCG-34HNB2) supplies current to the rechargeable batteries at 2.8V, 1150mA as opposed to most others at 12V, 1000mA. :?: could this be the problem? :?:

anyway, i have decided to get the Nexcell NC-20FC, and i will surely keep everone posted when i get it!

once again, thanx, everyone!
Old Dec 5, 2002, 3:47 AM   #10

i was wrong, AGAIN. the change of charger made no difference. so much for my experimentation on replacing parts, i have replaced EVERYTHING!

well, there is one thing that i have neglected to mention.

when i first put the newly charged batteries in the camera, the battery indicator would display a green full meter. after 5 shots, battery indicator turned into a red blinking meter, and soon the camera got shut off itself.

what i failed to mention was that all 5 shots were taken consecutively at 2271 x 1704 with flash light and with LCD turned on. would that be the reason? but the CR-V3 is able to handle 5 flash shots + LCD on with no problem!

one more thing, if i just let the camera sit there for like a few minutes, and turned it back on, the battery indicator would display green full meter again, but once again, couldn't last 5 shots with flash and LCD.

so what i did this time was to take shots with flash turned off, but LCD still on, well, it then could last about 30 shots under this curcumstance, then the blinking. but then let it rest for a few minutes, power back to full and another 30 shots, then finally out of battery (indicator started blinking right after turned on).

what puzzles me is that i never see the non-blinking "low battery indicator". all i have seen are the green full meter and red blinking meter.

well, perhaps the camera is not designed for extensive use?

anyway, i now wonder how many shots these batteries are supposed to last under each circumstance.

i like to start a new thread for this and conduct a survey for it, would you guys help please?

so so many thanks!