Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:57 PM   #1

Default Energizer 1 hour NiMh charger

Does anyone know anything about the the Energizer 1 hour NiMh charger? It is simlar to the Rayovac but is not as heavy and it only charges NiMh batteries. The model is CH1HR. It's at Best Buy for $39 and comes with 4 AAs. How does it compare to the Maha?

Thanks,
Don
Fisherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2002, 10:24 AM   #2

I purchased one of these charger kits last week from Sam's club for about $29. I charged the batteries using to car adaptor and used the batteries while on a family excursion down to disney world. Batteries lasted all day. Batteries got a little warm but not to the point where you can't touch them. I am pleased with them so far.
telmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 11:11 PM   #3

I bought these recently and they worked well in the camera. I am using them in my mb-5700. But my concern is after charging them I have 2 sets how long should they hold a charge before they get used.
KKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 6:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by telmd
I purchased one of these charger kits last week from Sam's club for about $29. I charged the batteries using to car adaptor and used the batteries while on a family excursion down to disney world. Batteries lasted all day. Batteries got a little warm but not to the point where you can't touch them. I am pleased with them so far.
I have never used that brand but I bought the new MaHa quick charger for NiMH and just love it..I t has a 1 hour quick charge and also a full charge..It seems everything I own runs on NiMH these days and they do give the best bang for the buck..A couple of new things with this, they advise leaving the cover open when charging so as to let the heat dissapate and when it is finished and you can't get to those batteries right away or just forget they are in the charger, it has a gentle trickle charge..If you get a flashing red light on a battery it is Kaput..I really think the Maha is the best on the market..--Phyllis
webbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 5:41 AM   #5

I bought one of the Energiser 1 hour chargers a few weeks ago and have used it extensively since then.

I am very pleased with it, it is quite sophisticated, and charges each battery individually. The power supply is 220/110 volts, is very lightweight and it can therefore be used as a travel charger (ie will work just about anywhere in the world as long as you have a pin converter). It uses a 12v input into the charger unit so would also work as a car charger with the appropriate cord.

I found that it charges the batteries cooler than some of my other chargers, so it must have a quite sophisticated charging circuit.

My camera use indicates that the batteries are well charged.

I can highly recommend this unit!
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:37 PM   #6

Supposedly the Energizer charger is hard on the batteries, i.e. a very warm charge, but isn't most fast chargers. Personally I use the new Maha Powerex MH-C401FS 100 minute cool charger that has a switch that allows you to do either a fast charge or slow charge. It also does a trickle charge to completely top off the batteries. Please don't think I'm putting down the Energizer because I'm not.

Koenig
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:25 PM   #7

I have the same ch1hr charger. I am hoping to charge 2300mAh and 2500mAh batteries in it, but since it is only a one hour charger, and only puts out 1.8A (1800mA) an hour, does that mean all it will do is 1800mA?

Or because it is a "smart" charger, will it continue to charge them for the 83-85 minutes needed @ 1.8Ah to fully charge 2500mAh batteries?
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:08 PM   #8
blr

Can somebody please post a picture of the charger in question. Is the charger and PS white? Just need to know if there is more than one 1hr model from Energizer out there.

Also, can you please ellaborate a bit more on how warm exactly the cells get at the end of charge. I mean not to measure temperature, just to the touch, i.e. body temperature or how much warmer etc. Any more info on this is appreciated.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:47 AM   #9

amorak wrote:
Quote:
I have the same ch1hr charger. I am hoping to charge 2300mAh and 2500mAh batteries in it, but since it is only a one hour charger, and only puts out 1.8A (1800mA) an hour, does that mean all it will do is 1800mA?

Or because it is a "smart" charger, will it continue to charge them for the 83-85 minutes needed @ 1.8Ah to fully charge 2500mAh batteries?
I am also asking this exact question about the Energizer CH1HR. Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

gunn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:19 AM   #10

A pdf file is available in the Energizer website,

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/ch1hr.pdf

According to the manual, charging current for AA is 1800 mA and 800 mA for AAA. Without losses, 1800mA will charge a 1800mAH battery in 1 hour, but since there are losses ( someone in the forum said his battery does not heat up during charging!), charging will be a little bit more than 1 hour.

This means that if you are charging 2500 mAH, it will theoretically be fully charge at 1.3 hours. If the charging stops charging your 2500mAH in less than 1 hour then something is wrong. It maybe that your battery interna resistance has gone up ( bad ) or the battery is charged when it is still partially charged.

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote