Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:57 PM   #1

I read somewhere that "your 2200mAh batteries are useless if your charger is only rated for 1500mAh". Well I bought some 2400 mah batteries. I allready had a charger. An Energizer dual Nicd/Nimh charger. I dont have a manual but the store flyer said itcharges up 1800mah. I cant seem to figure out if this is accurate or if it matters. The back of the charger says "output: 2x 2.8v----500mA and 2x9.8v----13mA. What does that mean? It only charges up to 500mA for the AA's??? I've charged my 2400mah batteries and the charger lights go off after about 5 hrs. How do I know how much my batteries have been charged?? :?
CalgaryDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:02 AM   #2
Baz

Dont be confused between ma and mAh. There is a difference. ma is a rate of current drawn by a device, or the current output of a charger.

mAh (milli amp hours) is a measure of a battery's capacity. i.e. how long it will last at a certain current drawn. Such as say, camera draws 1000ma current & battery lasts for 2 hours. 1000ma x 2hours = 2000mAh capacity. That is a simplification, but shows that the amount of time is involved.

A charger with a 500ma output will charge higher capacity batteries, but will take longer than charging lesser capacity batteries.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3

Most battery chargers have built in 'safety timers' which can be a limiting factor if it was not designed to handle the higher capacity battery cells of today. The safety timer will shut the charger off before the batteries have reached their full capacity.

This can usuallybe worked around by simply unplugging or 'resetting' the charger after it is done and then putting the batteries back infor a second time.

Which Energizer Model charger do you have?

Also, you can call Energizer cust service and they can tell you what the limitation of your charger is - I have done so myself.

I just purchased a great charger, the AccuManager 20 (by AccuPower) which has a very, very long timer which avoids this issue (at least for a really long time). It was disigned especially to charge the higher capacities of the future. Also, test have shown that it gets a more complete charge into the batteries than most other chargers on the market. It also charges all standard round sizes and 9-volt using six independant channels.

sorry.....just got the thing yesterday, and I already love it!

-jeff

tbone-Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 3:48 AM   #4
Baz

Hi tbone. I dont know that most chargers have a 'safety timer'. Maybe some simple ones do, but the automatic 'smart chargers' dont. They rely on sensing the end of charge using micro controllers. And after that they can switch to trickle charging to top up the cells.

Now you've tried the Accumanager 20, what is your opinion? It appears to be an excellent automatic charger. I looked at the specs, but dont find any mention of a safety timer. It does finish with a trickle charge, and some users have trickled for 24 hours. And so I am puzzelled that you say it has a "safety timer" Any comments?
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:36 PM   #5
blr

Baz wrote:
Quote:
Hi tbone. I dont know that most chargers have a 'safety timer'. Maybe some simple ones do, but the automatic 'smart chargers' dont. They rely on sensing the end of charge using micro controllers. And after that they can switch to trickle charging to top up the cells.
Actually many of the so-called "smart" chargers have a timer as an additional safety feature. In the older models this timer may indeed be set to cut-off too soon for a modern high capacity cell to get a full charge.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:29 PM   #6

Unfortunately, I don't see this spec detailed by manufacturers, but most smart chargers do in fact also havesome kind of'safety timer'. The newer ones will charge the current 2500mAh AAcells, but many of them not toomuch over that.

To answer your question: After using the AccuManager 20, I love it. It uses a processor controlled charging algorythm to condition the cells as they charge, and again, has a much longer safety timer than most AND charges cells more completely than other chargers in it's class (based on independant testing). And, to top it all off, it charges all std round cell sizes, 9-volts, and has a 3 year warranty.

If I sound a little juiced-up about this charger.....I am :-)

IMHO, this is by far the best charger on the market, especially for the $50 usd is costs compared to the others.

-jeff
tbone-Ike is offline   Reply With Quote