Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 3, 2002, 1:24 AM   #1

Default HELP!! AA (NiMH) vs Li-ion batteries

I am considering buying a Canon s30, but am hesitating because of the power source. I have been advised to go with NiMh AA because of expense and convienence. If you could lend your advice, that would be appreciated. Thx.
dmanatmilehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2002, 7:37 AM   #2
NHL

Li-Ion's power density is usually better than NiMh (but's that changing), and result in a more compact camera design that uses this battery type. A spare set will cost more for example...

NiMh on the other hand are more popular since they can be fitted to almost any other appliances (or toys) in the house, and are extremely cheap!

Its all boils down to cameras with CF flash slot, and whether you are planning on using the microdrive or not... With a microdrive the extra power required by this device is usually limited by the small proprietary Li-Ion that come with the camera. With NiMh the power rating is more than double @ extremely competitive price!

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...108&highlight=

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...140&highlight=
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:14 PM   #3

Also, something to consider is that NiMH's die real quick in the cold, plus lose more of its charge just sitting around than Li-Ion does.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 10:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. Do you know if the Li-ion batteries are capable of being charged and then removed from the charger and carried around with you like the NiMh batteries? I am thinking I don't want to be caught with a dead battery in the middle of my day somewhere. At least with the AA bats, I can grab some alkaline ones to hold me over.
dmanatmilehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:08 PM   #5

Yes, you can do that just as NiMH's. Talk about inconvenience, I had to charge my NiMH's a few hours prior to anything I was going to take my shooting to. If I let the batteries sit from one day to the other the charge wouldn't be there. Of course, this always happens during the winter time... in the summer NiMH's are fine and lose very little charge (but still more than Li-Ion) from day to day. I guess I have a cold office... :P I've left a laptop with a Li-Ion battery sit untouched for four months, and the battery still had nearly 50% of its original charge.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote