Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:40 PM   #1

I cannot fathom why the sony branded AA NimH (2100mah)batteries that come with the camera last longer than the Uniross 2100mah I have.....the sonys' last about double the time.

Has anyone noticed the same thing? or can offer related advice before I go and decide whether to get another pack of sony 2100 or some 2300?

kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:52 PM   #2

There could be a variety of reasons. But we have no idea of the history of the batteries that you own etc. So it could be age related, or usage related, or could be that Sony is selling batteries of higher capacity, but labeling them as lower capacity ones. Or an issue related to quality control...could be anything. My initial guess would be that there might be something wrong with one or more of your uniross batteries.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:28 PM   #3
blr

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
There could be a variety of reasons. But we have no idea of the history of the batteries that you own etc. So it could be age related, or usage related, or could be that Sony is selling batteries of higher capacity, but labeling them as lower capacity ones. Or an issue related to quality control...could be anything. My initial guess would be that there might be something wrong with one or more of your uniross batteries.
Sony is actually selling cells made by Sanyo, a good thing since Sanyo IMO makes the best NiMH cells
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:22 PM   #4

I will assume it is the quality of the nimh cells. Perhaps uniross cells are not as 'efficient' as others.

I bought a set of 12*2300 AA cells from Maplins a while back. Complete piece of crap. one set of sony's lasted me 4 days. I went through 3 sets (6 batteries) for the next 3 (I managed to get about 20 charges for each one before my travels to get them to full capacity).

Thanks for the tip blr. I would like to know whether Sanyo batteries are the same or better than sony ones...There's a £5(€8) difference in their prices of a pack of 4. There must be a difference.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...236878-7762010
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...236878-7762010
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:48 AM   #5

I'm not sure how you are charging your batteries. If you are using a single-channel type of charger to charge all the cells at once, it is possible that one bad cell could be stopping the others from getting a full charge.

Again, not sure of your charger type, but you could try charging one cell at a time. Also watch to see if one of the cells is done charging much quicker than the others.

...just a thought..

-jeff
tbone-Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 6:43 PM   #6

I don't know about the specific batteries avalable to you but many digicam companies OEM their 2100-2500mAH batteries from SANYO, including SONY.

The tell-tale sign is (reportedly) to look fora small "HR" stamped at the negative terminal of the niMH battery.

Among thebattery makers, it seems Sanyo are the most conservatively rated, so you can get very close to full capacity, unlike some others wherein you are lucky to get 80-90%

Now actual battery life depends on battery handling, charging/discharging history, and charger quality...
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote