Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:12 AM   #1

Are Mignon batteries and NiMH batteries the same. If not could some one tell me which one is better? Mignon batteries from Varta also have 15 minutes charger and they( at the store) say they are good and have a good life.

Need some help in getting this cleared! if they are different, do the chargers also differ?

pranesh313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:33 PM   #2
blr

pranesh313 wrote:
Quote:
Are Mignon batteries and NiMH batteries the same. If not could some one tell me which one is better? Mignon batteries from Varta also have 15 minutes charger and they( at the store) say they are good and have a good life.

Need some help in getting this cleared! if they are different, do the chargers also differ?
"Mignon" refers to the size of the cells (often wrongly called batteries). Mignon=AA sized cells. These come in two main flavours rechargeable and single use. NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride ) is a type of rechargeable chemistry, so a Mignon NiMH simply means a NiMH rechargeable cell of this particular size.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the info.

My confusion mainly arose because when I checked out the same thing in store I saw the same batteries, like I said Mignon, but it was said that its a NiCd battery. I understand from what the other sites say that NiMH batteries are more efficient than NiCd. Do they have different chargers for these 2 types or one charger does it all?
pranesh313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:05 PM   #4

Both :-)

Some chargers will only charge one type of cell, others will charge both but have a user switch to designate which type you are charging, and the more advanced charger that will charge both automatically detect the type of cell when you put it in the charger.

NiMH indeedare overall much more effecient than NiCd cells.

Aside from this website, here'a couple of great learning resources:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

http://faq.alltekpower.com/faq/index.asp

-jeff

tbone-Ike is offline   Reply With Quote