Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:47 PM   #1

Default Will this power adapter work with my camera?

Ok, here is the deal:

I need a power adapter for my Olympus C3030. I call Olympus and theirs is $70.00. I ask him, "What is the difference between yours at $70.00 and one I buy at Radio Shack with the same volts/amps?"

He says, "The one you buy at Radio Shack won't cost $70.00." He then proceeds to tell me, "As long as you are gonna do that, let me tell you what specs to look for. You need one that is 6.5 volts @ 2 amps."

Gotta admire his honesty and helpfulness.

So I go to Radio Shack and they have none at 6.5 volts. I then find one at Panwebi-Electronics online made by Digipower. It says it is for all kinds of Olympus cameras from the C3000 on thru to, at least, the C3040.

So, I buy it. When I get it, I see it lists the C3000 and the C3040, but NOT the C3030. I then see that it is rated at 6.5 volts @ 2500 milliamps (tranlates into 2.5 amps).

So, to me, this not only does not list my camera, but it is not the same amp rating as the one Olympus suggested I use.

I called the guy at Panwebi-Electronics back and he says, "That adapter is the one for your camera and will work. The extra .5 amp means nothig since the camera will not draw it anyway. The reason they don't list your camera on the package is because, even though it is good for all those cameras, they don't update the packaging every time a new camera comes out."

The guy at Olympus says I should buy theirs. The guy at Panwebi-Electronics says, "Of course Olympus is gonna tell you that."

I see both points.

So, the question is, does the difference between the suggested 6.5 v @ 2.0 A and the 6.5 V @ 2.5 A mean I'll fry my camera?
NickG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2002, 2:10 PM   #2

Well, think of it this way, that AC adapter you got probably works for my E-10 as well since it also takes 6.5V. But I'm using a DPS-9000 external battery pack that puts out 8.4V and 1.8A, the camera runs fine. I also used that pack with a C-2000 and it too ran fine at 8.4V. I don't think there would be a problem with your C-3030 and the AC adapter you bought.

The thing that makes the Olympus adapter more expensive is a built-in voltage regulator, which keeps voltage steady at 6.5V no matter what. Other AC adapters may not have this, and with a power spike from the outlet the adapter could potentially put out a higher voltage than intended. For example, a Japanese AC adapter takes 100VAC and puts out 6VDC. But if you connect it to a US outlet which is 110VAC, the resulting DC voltage is 10.2V! :shock: That's how I zapped my E-10 once, and I've learned my lesson.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 2:24 PM   #3

I asked around here at work and was told that my camera would be fine. As long as the amp rating is the same or higher, then all is well. A lower amp rating than what the camera draws will burn out either the adapter or the camera. Most likely, the camera will go first.

Thanks! interesting stuff
Old Dec 6, 2002, 4:23 PM   #4

But wen you use rechargeable AA's you are using lower amperage, 1.4-1.8A would be the capacities for batteries these days. Not only lower amperage, but lower voltage too since NiMH don't reach 1.5V, instead they give 1.2-1.3V. Oh well, if it works...
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 6:01 PM   #5

I'm thinking there is a safe range that the camera can work with and they all must be within that.

A camera that runs on alkaline and rechargeable batteries must have some room to play with voltage-wise.