Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:27 PM   #11

I've been using the charger for about 2 months now and I've virtually retired my other chargers to once in a while chargers. The LaCrosse with the individual readouts for each cell is a wealth of information.

With the LaCrossecharger and the test mode at 200mA I have found weak cells and figured out why my camera was prematurely running out of power. The strong cells would work until the far weakest cell quit then the camera would just stop running. With the charger's option of testing the capacity of the cells I've been able to pair cells with close capacity. My camera runs a lot longer now. I simply mark on the cells with a permanent marker what the capacity of the cells are and pair them up when the cells are within 10% of the highest cell.

Another nice feature of the LaCrosse is the refresh mode. That mode will "excercise" cells and tell you the increased capacity (if the cell is not too far from old age.) So I've been able to revive weak cells then I'll even pair up weak cells for secondary duty.

The click buttons do take a while to get used to. A simple push of the button is not enough to toggle the modes. A decided press and sometimes a decided press and hold for a second is what is necessary to get the buttons to work.

So far the LaCrosse is the best "bang for the buck" charger I've used.

HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:28 PM   #12

Steve, I am looking into the future. Will the lacrosse bc-900 charger charge aa batteries that may be over 3000 mah? I have heard 3000 is the limit. If so, what will happen if you charge batteries higher than 3000?. Thank you for your reply.

Dan
dekelsey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:00 AM   #13

Batteries over 3000mA simply won't get a full charge at the higher current charge rate. I think they will eventually get fully charged, slowly, as the charger trickle charges when they are sitting in the charger.

If you wanted, you could just unplug the charger and plug it back in (or possibly re-insert the cells) which would reset the charger. The cells would then charge at the higher current until they were full the rest of the way.

The limit has to do with a safety timer that's built into the charger. The only problem with the 'reset' method is that it will also reset all the data on the LCD displays so you will loose any cumulative charging data for that charge on the cells.

Hope I'm making sense!

-jeff

tbone-Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:01 PM   #14

Actually, it shouldn't make any difference what the mAh of the batteries are. Of course the higher the mAhthe longer it may take to charge. Doesn't the charger have Delta sensors?

If it ended the charge by time only, none of the batteries would get to full charge.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:59 AM   #15

Just to note that AMAZON has the LaCrosse BC-900 Charger for $49.99 shipped and if you sign up for their Amazon Visa, they'll take $30 off your first order. I ordered mine for $19.99 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance
dchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:20 AM   #16

It does use delta-v for charging cutoff, but it also has a 3000mA max charging capacity listed in the manual. I beleive this has to do with safety timer circuitry, that's why it has a limitation, but still uses delta-v. I am very glad to see that LaCrosse at least list this in their manual, unlike many manufacturers.

I think we should give more consideration to safety timer limitations than we do as consumers, the poblem is that the info is not always readily available. I do have some data on a couple of chargers though.

[align=left]-jeff[/align]

Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:04 PM   #17

Yeah Jeff, I'm beginning to wonder about it more now. Does the manual say the "output" is 3.0A (3000mAh) or the maximum sized battery that can be charged is 3000mAh? There's a difference. I don't see why there would be a limitation on the battery capacity.

Like charging an auto battery of 1000A with a 1A charger. It works; it just takes longer to charge than say a 10A or 30A charger. You sure wouldn't want to charge it with a1000A charger. The charger capacity doesn't have to be matched to the battery capacity.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:24 PM   #18

The manual (which I readonline below) states:

"Max charging capacity (capacity of rechargeable batteries): 3000mAh"

http://www.lacrossetechnology.fr/ima...l_RS900_en.pdf

I've learned that most charger have this kind of limitation to varying degrees.

I think the LaCrosse is a neat charger, but I didn't buy one for this reason.

I have a Duracell (that I don't use often), an Energizer charger (that I don't use at all), and my beloved AccuPower AccuManager 20. The AccuManager 20 has a safety timer of about 35 hours (at 700mA) for round cells, and uses a 30mA, 9-hour timed charger for the 9-volt cells. Nice to have the super-high limit along with ability to charge all the sizes. It's not as fast as some of the quick AA chargers, but as inexpensive as AA NiMH cells are, I just have a couple of extra sets I keep charged.

-jeff

Old May 28, 2005, 3:55 PM   #19

As Nicholas noted, the faster batteries charge, the hotter they get. Makes you wonder why most chargerscome with plastic shields, huh? That's why I went to the local drugstore, plopped down ten bucks for a tiny white plastic fan with a high speed motor and I aim it directly at the batteries as they charge. It's always worked for me.

And the AMAZON idea was great. Thanks for the idea! Thomas Distributing also sells them discounted and offers free shipping.

Wonder how those new 15-minute chargers work out....

Confed
Confederate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:15 AM   #20

Does anyone experienced the screen keep blinking while it was charging ? :?
rev_zone is offline   Reply With Quote