Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:42 PM   #1

Hi to all, I am thinking on buying the Lacrosse BC-900 battery charger. All of you that already have this charger, how do you like it? Does it charge the batteries up fully? In general, just give me your opinion on this charger. Thank you for your input.

Dan

dekelsey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Administrator

How about me saying that I have retired all of my other chargers and now only use the BC900. It is the -best- charger I've ever used - period!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:20 PM   #3

Like I posted in the the other thread; I'd buy one if they had a version without all the extra stuff. In the meantime, my Kodak K6000 does a good job.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:20 PM   #4

I just got it. The extra stuff is useful for a starter kit. The C and D adapters are nifty.

Now, here is what I don't understand. The batteries are rated as having 2000 mAh capacity, but the charger instructions claim the maximum current it will deliver is 1800 mA.

Putting all 4 batteries in sets the charging current at 1000mA. So the higher the charging current, the faster the batteries get charged?
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:04 PM   #5

The charging current is expressed in mA that it can charge per hour, so mA/h, so if the maximum current is 1600 mA and you charge a 2400mAh battery, then the maximum time it could take(if the battery is FULLY dischaged is 1½ hour.

So, as you said, the higher the charging current the faster the charging is done, but the higher the charging current, the hotter the batteries get. This can damage the batteries if they get too hot.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:29 PM   #6

I understand now. I've got it set on the lowest charge 200mA, so it'll take about 10 hours. The instructions recommended it for a new batteries.

No wonder some batteries would get hot in some of those rapid chargers...they must have high current rates.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:05 PM   #7

The Kodak I have outputs 2.3A (2300mAh)for 2 AA batteries and 1150mAh for 4 AA batteries. The batteries get noticeably hot to the touch but the charger has an over temperature sensor. As long as the batteries don't get much over 45C (113F), they aren't supposed to be damaged. Some of the high-end chargers will raise the temperature to 58C (136+F). That's high enough to be "too hot to touch".

After you've had a chance to run a few cycles, how about a "review" of your experiences with the BC-900?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:07 AM   #8

The first thing I did was charge the LaCrosse batteries at the default 200mA setting, which the instructions say would take 10 hours. Strangely, two of the batteries became full after 5 hours. I changed the display to the capacity monitor, and those two batteries only had 600 mAh, well below the 2000 mAh cpacity the batteries claim.

Right now, I'm using the BC900's test mode at 500mA charge/250mA discharge to test the batteries capacity. If they all turn out well below 2000 mAh, I'm going to have to use the BC900's refresh function.

The only gripe I have with the unit so far are the buttons. You have to press "hard" to get the unit to change mode and such. Only pressing it until it clicks isn't actually deep enough for the button to make contact with the circuitboard.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:33 AM   #9

The other thing I forgot to mention is that if the batteries are charged too slow, its the same as if they are charged too fast(where they get too hot).... So I'd go for something in the middle. I don't think 200mA is too slow, but it may not work best.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:00 PM   #10

Both sets of my NiMH batteries(4x2) didn't work as well on the first charge as they did on the second and third cycle. I think you need to go through a few charge/dischargecycles beforethe batteries come up to full capacity.

I also understand that NiMH batteries don't like to sit around and do nothing. It's best to switch out your spares and use them on a regular basis. Don't just leave them in the bag for reserve. Keep a set of alkalines for that.