Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 17, 2005, 1:51 AM   #1

Hello,

I purchased a pair of the Maha Powerbank Lithium Ion 7.2vbattery packs about 14 months ago. It seemed that after about10-15 charging cycles the battery capacity was noticibly decreased. I ended up loosing one of the batteries about 6 months ago so I was not able to continue a side by side comparrison.

When I first got the packs I used them quite a bit for the first3 months or so. I used a timer on the charger to make sure I didn't overcharge the batteries. In the last10 months I would only use the battery very briefly (5-10 minutes)once a month or so and would have to charge it on every 2nd or 3rd use.

Today the battery was dead soI connected it to the charger, however it will not take a charge anymore. In all, I ran this battery through less than20 charging cycles.

Is it characteristic of theseLiIon batteries to only last 20 charging cycles? I've charged the LiIon battery in my laptop probably close to 200 times, so I would have to think it's not a general characteristic of all LiIon batteries.

I'm considering the purchase of another battery pack, but don't want to have the same experience in another year. Any experience or input on this area would be appreciated.
gweedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2
blr

LiIon batteries should last for far more than 20 cycles. Their weakness however lies their oxidation. In short, regardless of use the battery will last 2-2.5 years. If your pack was an old stock when you purchased it can well be over 2 years old by now
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:48 PM   #3

As I stated in my original post, I bought two of these units at the same time. I lost one of the battery packs but still have the acessories from both packs. On a whim, I decided to try the other wall charger and as it turns out, this was my problem. The battery charges just fine now and is still showing a full charge after 6 weeks of non-use.
gweedoh is offline   Reply With Quote