Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:22 AM   #1

Is there really a difference between name brand and no name chargers and batteries? If so, what brands are recommended? Thanks.
mysilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:20 AM   #2

mysilber wrote:
Quote:
Is there really a difference between name brand and no name chargers and batteries? If so, what brands are recommended? Thanks.
Charger definately makes a difference. Some may heat the batteries much more decreasing their life. maha is generally considered best and the new maha 401 has a nice slow charge to keep them cooler but also a 100 min fast charge also. This article on batt shootout is pretty good reading.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

For lots of good charger advice I go to thomas distributing. High quality goods there as well as the info.

http://thomas-distributing.com
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 3:54 AM   #3
Baz

Yes, for sure the charger makes a big difference. I've been using AA NiMh cells for some years. The chargers I used were the Maha & the Lightning pack. Both were considered good, recommended by Steve, & I was content.

But recently the Lacrosse BC-900 has come on the scene, and now more highly recommended by Steve.

I had to have one! It arrived recently. What can I say? It is fantastic. Maybe not for everyone, as it is a bit technical. You need to understand the many options. e.g. the modes & displays for charge/discharge current (ma)- time elapsed - cell voltage - cell capacity (mah). Surfice to say it can charge/recondition/test/ & report the capacity (mah) of each of the 4 cells.

When ordering the charger, I read good reports of the Sanyo 2500mah cells, so I got 8 of those. Here are some results:

Powerex 1800mah cells, used for about 6 months. Reported mah capacity by the BC-900:
Cell 1..1444
Cell 2..1697
Cell 3..1650
Cell 4..1566

Not very good as the battery is only as good as the weakest cell.

The new unused Sanyo 2500mah cells were first discharged & then charged. The reported mah capacity was:
Cell 1..2710
Cell 2..2570
Cell 3..2770
Cell 4..2810
Cell 5..2790
Cell 6..2850
Cell 7..2650
Cell 8..2740

This is excellent. A good report for all Sanyo 2500mah cells.

I've plenty more AA cells that I'll be checking with the BC-900 soon. As others have said, the benefit is that one can match up a set of cells with similar mah capacities for different purposes.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:46 PM   #4

The LaCrosse charger is very good. Now, I can tell if these batteries really have the capacity that is quoted on the batteries themselves. The refresh capability is very good too.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote