Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 11, 2005, 1:17 PM   #1

Help! I cannot find an external battery pack to work right. The first one I purchased would not fit in my camera plug snugly, which left the camera constantly turning on and off anytime I moved. The second set of batteries I bought are "digicom auxiliary power pack - 5 volt - 3600 MAH NI-MH Battery". These batteries will only power my camera for about 15 minutes, then they are done. My camera is a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. On the back of my camera is says "DC IN 6 volt". What external battery packwill power my camera for a significant amount of time, without damaging my camera -of COURSE! What is "MAH" - is a higher "MAH" better, will a higher "MAH" be more likely to damage my camera. Will a higher voltage bemore likely to damage my camera - should I have a 6 voltbattery?

I need a very durable, reliable battery pack. I am taking pictures at a friends wedding in a month. Please HELP!

Very Confused -

Purkhiser
Purkhiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 4:19 PM   #2

According to the Konica-Minolta DiMage 7Hi manual, your camera takes four AA batteries. The optional power pack is the EBP-100, which retails for around $275.

Your camera requires 6 volts. If you use any more than that, you will fry your camera. Use less, and the charge won't last very long (as you may have noticed). The MaH doesn't matter...the more you have, the longer it will last. The voltage is critical.

If I were you, I'd pick up as supply of NiMH batteries and a good charger, and forget the proprietary battery packs. Put four AA's in the camera, and bring eight more to the wedding, and you should be fine. I get about 350 pictures with a set of AA's in my camera.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 5:59 PM   #3

Use a 6V lantern battery with a PROPERLY POLARIZED adapter plug.

Heavy, but durable and cheap!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 11:11 PM   #4

Thanks so much for getting back to me SOOOOO Quickly! That info is so helpful. What AA Batteries do you recommend? The kind at Walmart that are rechargeable - the only thing is, they don't seem to last that long. I considered taking a few packs of the "Energizer Lithiam AA Batteries" $10.00 for 4 - they seem to work the best. What do you recommend?
Old May 12, 2005, 10:12 AM   #5
Administrator

See our NiMH Rechargeable Battery page - there are many high-capacity brands to choose from. The higher the mAh rating, the longer they last. I use the Energizer 2500mAh AA batteries here with great results.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 12:42 PM   #6

THANKS! I'll check it out!

Carrie