Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 13, 2005, 2:46 AM   #1

I have 2 varta 2300mAh and 2 varta 1900mAh (I think varta is for europe like rayovac for USA). My question is should I use them in my new Canon S1 IS in same time. I charge them separetly.

:?:
dzimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 5:02 AM   #2

No...always use batteries of equal capacity and equal charge state. I have heard that you may damage your batteries and/or your camera by mixing capacities. I cannot verify that since I have never personaly done it (wouldn't want to risk damaging a camera). You should keep batteries together in sets of four for your camera.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 1:04 PM   #3
blr

dzimba wrote:
Quote:
I have 2 varta 2300mAh and 2 varta 1900mAh (I think varta is for europe like rayovac for USA). My question is should I use them in my new Canon S1 IS in same time. I charge them separetly.

:?
You may or may not damage them depending on what is the cut-off voltage in your camera. Your 1900 mAh cells will get discharged first and drop in voltage. Once the voltage drops below 1.1-1.15 V/cell the camera will shut down. It is not very likely that your 1900 mAh cells will be overdischarged, but I wouldn't take chances. Overdischarging NiMH cells may lead to leakage, nothing that you'd like inside your camera. You'll be better off just purchasing 2 new 2300 mAh cells and 2 1900 mAh ones from the same manufacturer and completing your sets.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote