Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 16, 2005, 4:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11
Default

what is the consensus on the cheaper generic ebay NiMH bateries? there seem to be some good deals but are they of decent quality?
eshieh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 10:08 AM   #2
blr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 339
Default

eshieh1 wrote:
Quote:
what is the consensus on the cheaper generic ebay NiMH bateries? there seem to be some good deals but are they of decent quality?

I wouldn't save on rechargeable battries. I haven't worked with ebay cells but most of these generic cells are pretty cheap chinease-mades. You can expect varying capacity from cell to cell and shorter cycle life. IMO it's better to invest a few bucks more and get something good like Sanyo (Energizer, Kodak, Sony, Olympus, Varta-they are all the same cells made by Sanyo)
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 3:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
thatsanicepicture2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 859
Default

blr wrote:
Quote:
Sanyo (Energizer, Kodak, Sony, Olympus, Varta-they are all the same cells made by Sanyo)
No big deal but Energizer is an independent comapny and trades on the NYSE as ENR

http://www.energizer.com/company/companyhistory.asp
Energizer spun off from the Ralston Purina, Co. in April 2000, becoming an independent company. Energizer continues to provide consumers with innovative, high-quality and technologically advanced batteries and flashlights, including Energizer[suP]®[/suP] brand batteries, Eveready[suP]®[/suP] brand batteries, Energizer[suP]®[/suP] e[suP]2[/suP]™ batteries, Energizer[suP]®[/suP] e²™ Photo lithium batteries, miniature battery line, rechargeable batteries, and lighting products.

With global headquarters in St. Louis and over 10,000 Associates in 140 countries, Energizer stands as the world's largest manufacturer of batteries and flashlights, dedicated to predicting and meeting the needs of the consumer.
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 7:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BillDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hay River Township, WI
Posts: 2,512
Default

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
... and over 10,000 Associates ...
Does anyone have employees anymore?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 7:39 AM   #5
blr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 339
Default

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
blr wrote:
Quote:
Sanyo (Energizer, Kodak, Sony, Olympus, Varta-they are all the same cells made by Sanyo)
No big deal but Energizer is an independent comapny and trades on the NYSE as ENR

http://www.energizer.com/company/companyhistory.asp
Energizer spun off from the Ralston Purina, Co. in April 2000, becoming an independent company. Energizer continues to provide consumers with innovative, high-quality and technologically advanced batteries and flashlights, including Energizer[suP]®[/suP] brand batteries, Eveready[suP]®[/suP] brand batteries, Energizer[suP]®[/suP] e[suP]2[/suP]™ batteries, Energizer[suP]®[/suP] e²™ Photo lithium batteries, miniature battery line, rechargeable batteries, and lighting products.

With global headquarters in St. Louis and over 10,000 Associates in 140 countries, Energizer stands as the world's largest manufacturer of batteries and flashlights, dedicated to predicting and meeting the needs of the consumer.
Most of the other companies that are using Sanyo cells are also independent, I guess Sony is at least. When it comes to actual manufacturing of secondary (rechargeable) cells there are 3 big names Sanyo, Panasonic and GP almost everyone elese stocks from one of them and put their own labels. Anyway get a Sanyo branded cell and compare it to a Energizer one you will see that they are identical. Check their discharge characteristics and you'll see again they are exactly the same. This is well known by the battery folks over at candlepowerforums
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Carskick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 276
Default

I wonder who makes the Duracell 2050Mah batteries I have been using? I use the 1hr Duracell charger as well, and I have been very happy with them, as they charge quickly and it automatically stops charging.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 2:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
propwash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 277
Default

Carskick wrote:
Quote:
I wonder who makes the Duracell 2050Mah batteries I have been using? I use the 1hr Duracell charger as well, and I have been very happy with them, as they charge quickly and it automatically stops charging.
I use the same Duracell 2050 mAh batteries. I don't know who makes the batteries, but I have had exceptionally good service from them. What I like about the charger is that there is a slide switch so I can choose between NiMH and my old ni-cads. There is also a charging light for each battery, and you don't need to charge them in pairs. You can do one at a time if you want. The only thing I don't like is that the cells get really hot while they are charging. When the charging light goes out, I remove them from the charger, but I don't put them back into my camera until they cool down to room temperature--usually in less than an hour.


propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:15 PM   #8
blr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 339
Default

If the cells get really hot this means that they are being overcharged. This is an enemy number one of rechageable batteries. The consequence is that your cells won't last very long and will gradually loose capacity
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.