Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 16, 2005, 4:06 PM   #1

what is the consensus on the cheaper generic ebay NiMH bateries? there seem to be some good deals but are they of decent quality?
eshieh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 10:08 AM   #2
blr

eshieh1 wrote:
Quote:
what is the consensus on the cheaper generic ebay NiMH bateries? there seem to be some good deals but are they of decent quality?

I wouldn't save on rechargeable battries. I haven't worked with ebay cells but most of these generic cells are pretty cheap chinease-mades. You can expect varying capacity from cell to cell and shorter cycle life. IMO it's better to invest a few bucks more and get something good like Sanyo (Energizer, Kodak, Sony, Olympus, Varta-they are all the same cells made by Sanyo)
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 3:49 PM   #3

blr wrote:
Quote:
Sanyo (Energizer, Kodak, Sony, Olympus, Varta-they are all the same cells made by Sanyo)
No big deal but Energizer is an independent comapny and trades on the NYSE as ENR

http://www.energizer.com/company/companyhistory.asp
Energizer spun off from the Ralston Purina, Co. in April 2000, becoming an independent company. Energizer continues to provide consumers with innovative, high-quality and technologically advanced batteries and flashlights, including Energizer[suP]®[/suP] brand batteries, Eveready[suP]®[/suP] brand batteries, Energizer[suP]®[/suP] e[suP]2[/suP]™ batteries, Energizer[suP]®[/suP] e²™ Photo lithium batteries, miniature battery line, rechargeable batteries, and lighting products.

With global headquarters in St. Louis and over 10,000 Associates in 140 countries, Energizer stands as the world's largest manufacturer of batteries and flashlights, dedicated to predicting and meeting the needs of the consumer.
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 7:24 PM   #4

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
... and over 10,000 Associates ...
Does anyone have employees anymore?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 7:39 AM   #5
blr

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
blr wrote:
Quote:
Sanyo (Energizer, Kodak, Sony, Olympus, Varta-they are all the same cells made by Sanyo)
No big deal but Energizer is an independent comapny and trades on the NYSE as ENR

http://www.energizer.com/company/companyhistory.asp
Energizer spun off from the Ralston Purina, Co. in April 2000, becoming an independent company. Energizer continues to provide consumers with innovative, high-quality and technologically advanced batteries and flashlights, including Energizer[suP]®[/suP] brand batteries, Eveready[suP]®[/suP] brand batteries, Energizer[suP]®[/suP] e[suP]2[/suP]™ batteries, Energizer[suP]®[/suP] e²™ Photo lithium batteries, miniature battery line, rechargeable batteries, and lighting products.

With global headquarters in St. Louis and over 10,000 Associates in 140 countries, Energizer stands as the world's largest manufacturer of batteries and flashlights, dedicated to predicting and meeting the needs of the consumer.
Most of the other companies that are using Sanyo cells are also independent, I guess Sony is at least. When it comes to actual manufacturing of secondary (rechargeable) cells there are 3 big names Sanyo, Panasonic and GP almost everyone elese stocks from one of them and put their own labels. Anyway get a Sanyo branded cell and compare it to a Energizer one you will see that they are identical. Check their discharge characteristics and you'll see again they are exactly the same. This is well known by the battery folks over at candlepowerforums
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:20 AM   #6

I wonder who makes the Duracell 2050Mah batteries I have been using? I use the 1hr Duracell charger as well, and I have been very happy with them, as they charge quickly and it automatically stops charging.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 2:28 PM   #7

Carskick wrote:
Quote:
I wonder who makes the Duracell 2050Mah batteries I have been using? I use the 1hr Duracell charger as well, and I have been very happy with them, as they charge quickly and it automatically stops charging.
I use the same Duracell 2050 mAh batteries. I don't know who makes the batteries, but I have had exceptionally good service from them. What I like about the charger is that there is a slide switch so I can choose between NiMH and my old ni-cads. There is also a charging light for each battery, and you don't need to charge them in pairs. You can do one at a time if you want. The only thing I don't like is that the cells get really hot while they are charging. When the charging light goes out, I remove them from the charger, but I don't put them back into my camera until they cool down to room temperature--usually in less than an hour.

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:15 PM   #8
blr

If the cells get really hot this means that they are being overcharged. This is an enemy number one of rechageable batteries. The consequence is that your cells won't last very long and will gradually loose capacity