Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 25, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1

I have just recently purchased a canon powershot A95 and i wanted to get some 2500mAh Ni-MH "AA" batteries and a charger for them. Can anyone tell me if i can use the sony batteries and charger or the energizer batteries with the camera or if anyone knows any other batteries and chargers that would be suitable
kmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 8:41 AM   #2
blr

kmag wrote:
Quote:
I have just recently purchased a canon powershot A95 and i wanted to get some 2500mAh Ni-MH "AA" batteries and a charger for them. Can anyone tell me if i can use the sony batteries and charger or the energizer batteries with the camera or if anyone knows any other batteries and chargers that would be suitable
You can use both Sony and Energizer 2500 mAh cells. In fact, they are the same cells made by Sanyo in Japan and branded differently. Sony chargers are not the best IMO. There have been several reports that they heat the cells too much and don't have a trickle charge mode to top-off the cells after the quick charge.

Check a place like RipVan100.com. They sell Sanyo 2500 cells and the LightningPack 4000N charger for a very good combo price. The charger is reasonably quick and works without overheating the cells. It also has a discharge function. Another good charger that I've been using for over a year is Lenmar Mach1 Gamma. It will charge the 2500 mAh cells for about 80 min from flat without overheating. It has 4 independent charging channels, but can't discharge the cells. If you are going to charge your cells only at home have a look at Vanson Speedy Box. This is a bigger charger (takes also C, D and 9V batteries). It has 4 separate slots and a discharge function. It is not as fast but chargers quite completely without excessive heat.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 12:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, i'm looking at buying the MAHA MH-C204W Charger and 4 2500mah energizer batteries. Tell me what you think.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:42 AM   #4
blr

kmag wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info, i'm looking at buying the MAHA MH-C204W Charger and 4 2500mah energizer batteries. Tell me what you think.

IMO the Maha C204W is not the most gentle charger on the cells. LightningPack4000N will charge slightly faster while keeping the cells cooler. If I were you, I'd take the LightningPack 4000N. The Energizer cells are made by Sanyo and are excellent
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:38 PM   #5

Hey there, i am from Trinidad so i had a partner who was going to New York for a few days so i asked him to buy the lightning pack 4000N charger but he didn't find it so he brought me a power2000 charger kit:sad: that came with 4 2500mah batteries and a car adapter. Can you give me some info on this charger, if it's any good cause i am looking to sell it and buy the lightning pack. If it is good, i'll just keep it and use it.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:01 PM   #6

kmag wrote:
Quote:
Hey there, i am from Trinidad so i had a partner who was going to New York for a few days so i asked him to buy the lightning pack 4000N charger but he didn't find it so he brought me a power2000 charger kit:sad: that came with 4 2500mah batteries and a car adapter. Can you give me some info on this charger, if it's any good cause i am looking to sell it and buy the lightning pack. If it is good, i'll just keep it and use it.

I'm in Japan & coming back to T&T in August - if you don't have the batteries & charger by then, let me know & I can buy them here for you.

I have an A95 & am going to buy rechargeables soon for it - 2500mAh, from what I see on this forum.

Thanks guys.
devichat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 7:55 AM   #7

I got a power2000 charger and batteries(2500mah) from a partner who went NY which i didn't want him to buy andwhich i am looking to sell at the moment cause i wanted to buy the lightning pack 4000N charger and some energizer 2500 mah batteries. I'll let you know about the offer in a timing. Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:41 AM   #8

No scene.

I bought 4 Sanyo batteries with charger (2500mAh batteries) here for about $38 US (3,780 yen - the rate is fluctuating these days).

I didn't see anything called "lightning pack 4000N charger", but they have Olympus, Panasonic, Canon& Sony rechargeables (2400mAh, though).
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:04 AM   #9

The lightning pack 4000N seems to be only distributed online at ripvan100.com. What's the brand of the charger you bought?
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:57 PM   #10

Sanyo brand.

As blr said in the 2nd post, Sanyo makes them & other companies just brand it.

The charger I bought has a quick charge feature for 2 batteries at a time, when you put them at opposite ends of the charger (140 mins, I think). Any other configuration, or charging 4 batteries takes 280 minutes.

Will try to post a pic later.