Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 31, 2005, 8:45 PM   #1

Can anybody recommend a good yet inexpensive ($30-$40 Canadian) Double A Charger and Batteries. My Camera takes 4 AA's so I guess I'll probably have to buy an extra set of batteries too, so that I always have a set.

I saw the Energizer ones for $25 in the Superstore, are these any good at all??
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 9:43 PM   #2

The Maha MH-C204W and the La Crosse BC-900 are the two chargers everyone has been talking about lately. The BC-900 is a bit expensive, but has some unique features. For a source, try:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

I have four Lightning Pack 4000N chargers (under their original manufacturer's label - Hubgiant), and find them very good for the money...fast charging and cool. Available at:

http://www.ripvan100.com/products_recharger.htm

As for batteries, the Maha Powerex, Energizer, and Sanyo batteries are all very highly rated. I have been using NexCell 2400 mAh batteries, and am very pleased with them (can be purchased for about $1 US each on ebay). I bought 16 of them...4 in the camera, 8 in the camera bag, and the other 4 power my computer mouse.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:08 AM   #3
Baz

Excellent advice from 'The Hun'. I have used all 3 chargers he recommends, and agree with his advice. Even 'Steve' recently stated he has retired all chargers in favour of the Lacrosse BC-900.

Although it is bit expensive, it has so many features, displays, charging/discharing/testing/refreshing/modes that are unique.

But I was very satisfied with the Maha & Lightning Pack chargers, & still use them occasionally.

With AA cells for digicams, one uses them in 'Sets'. Either 2 or 4. I have many cells on hand, my camera uses 4. Any set is only as good as the weakest cell.

The LaCrosse sorts them out. Using that charger I find that some sets have 1 or 2 cells with much lower mah capacities than specified. And so I've been able to sort the sets with equal highest mah capacities.

Check out on the RipVan site Hun linked for the charger & the Sanyo Industrial 2500mah cells. Very highly recommended, as I can confirm.

For example, I have 8 of those cells. Using the test mode in the Lacrosse, the 2500 cells have the following mah capacities:

1.. 2710
2.. 2570
3.. 2770
4.. 2810
5.. 2790
6.. 2850
7.. 2650
8.. 2740

I hope thats helpful for you Brendak, and that you'll take Huns advice.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:28 AM   #4

Thank you, I will definately look around for those! Are there retailers that carry them or will I have to order? I'm in Canada, actually in a very small city(with limited retailers) does anybody think I'll have any luck finding any of these at The Source (radioshack), The Superstore, Walmart, Canadian Tireor Staples?
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:47 PM   #5

I think you would be better off buying online. I've yet to see a good variety of rechargeables in any department store. And what they have to offer usually doesn't look too good, and the prices are usually very high. Maybe things are different in Canada (?).

Try ebay or the links I posted earlier.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:29 PM   #6

http://www.durhamradio.com/s/customer/home.php?cat=1663

Maha MH-C401FS with 4 1800mah batteries and car kit for CAN$29.

The Ripvan 4000N may be better and costs the same (US$23=CAN$29)but doesn't include acar kit or batteries.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:07 PM   #7

A quick solution would be the Rayovac PS 3 charger. It does AAA up to D and 9 volts. Upto 8 AAA or AA. It charges the batteries fairly quickly (not 1 hour) to capacity, then trickle charges. It has a safety feature that switches to trickle charging after 12 hours or so.

The Energizer charger that does D cells doesn't charge to capacity, rather it charges for a set time then trickle charges. I couldn't charge my 4000 mah D cells very well in this charger.

The Rayovac PS3 is available at Walmart and Canadian Tire for about $30 Can.
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote