Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:08 PM   #1

I've just purchased a Canon A95 and will be going on a 2wk vacation. I've gotten the Maha C204W charger and one set of 2300 mAh AA batteries so far. Now all reports say that the Canon A95 has unusually good battery life.

So the question: Is a single set of NiHM rechargeables w/charger sufficient for a long trip, keeping spare alkalines on hand in the event I need to finish the day out before recharging the NiMHs at night? Or should I get an extra set of NiMHs?

TIA
jhoeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:49 PM   #2

The A95 has good battery life... I presume that your batteries are new so you should a lifetime about twice shorter than after 5 cycles. After those 5 cycles, you should be able to take about 400 shots using the flash often but not all the time.

Is 1 set enough ? it depends on how many pictures you take in 1 day, it depends on if you will recharge the batteries every night(whether or not they can still be used)... If you recharge every night, I'd tend to think that you wouldn't need more than one even if I'd personally recommend having 2 sets.

If I base myself on how long the alkalines lasted in my A95(40-50shots), it isn't amazing, but it will help u in case you run out of juice. The thing you should really consider tho is enough memory space. At 5mp and superfine, you can take about 192 pictures with a 512mb card, so if you use 1 set of NiMH entirely in 1 day, u'd need at least 2 512mb cards for a single day!!!
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:02 PM   #3

True, true.

As I replied in the other thread, I've got 512+256+128 mb CF cards... maybe I should bring more memory and don't sweat the battery issue.I will try to shoot alot the next couple of weeks before leaving to cycle the batteries several times before I leave.

The "5 cycles" that everybody mentions--does that mean complete discharge/recharge cycles? Or are partial discharge/full recharge cylces Ok?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:23 PM   #4

For my part, it was complete discharge and recharge cycles, I prefer to do those since I really do the best for the batteries and I don't want to mess them up early on in their life. Hasn't deceived me yet, both my sets will consistently give me over 400 shots even over a 1 month period.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:13 PM   #5

You may also want to consider a DPS 9000 external battery.

It is Lithium based and lasts for hours AND will work with almost all dig cams

They are occasionally for sale on Ebay or just Froogle for them
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6

IMHO, for the low price of a set of good AA NiMH batteries (like Sanyo, Sony or Eveready 2500mAH), you certainly get a lot of peace of mind - specially when you get that Kodak (or rather that Canon) moment.

Note that you also save as eventually, you would need to replace those alkalines...
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:46 AM   #7

Yes I understand the cost savings... I was just figuring that one wouldn't have to worry about whether the 2nd set of batteries were fresh and charged if they were alkalines, whereas you have to keep an eye on the charge states of both sets of NiMH, eh?

But you're right, one set of NiMH costs about the same as 2 sets of alkalines.

Thx.

{pardon the yellow... I can't seem to set font as white in the reply window and my background appears to be black \_O_/ }