Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:16 PM   #1

I have FujiPinePix 2650 Digital Camera and also a Fuji FinePix A200 for my grandson. My grandson brought it to me the other day with 165 pictures on it and low batteries - again <G>. Needless to say, keeping batteries in them is a problem so I am thinking of getting a Maha C-204W charger with 2500 mAH batteries. How many times can these batteries be charged?

I really appreciate the help on this forum.

Thanks,

Ed
HumbleSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:36 PM   #2

NiMH batteries claim to be rechargeable between 500 and 1000 times.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:20 PM   #3

Also depends on what type of charger you use.
A "quick" charger will cut the life span in half.
A "overnight" charger is the best way to go.

I know from experience...and testing.

DavesPPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:23 PM   #4

Thanks, Nick and Dave. That's impressive. Much better than replacing batteries every time I look over my shoulder.

Ed
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:13 AM   #5

How does the Lightning Pack 4000N Recharger compare to the MahaC-204W and/or the Maha MH-C401FS? Of these two Maha chargers, which one was the latest release and which would you recommend? I've narrowed it down to buying one of these three so any suggestions and helpwould be appreciated. From the reviews I've read, I would probably favor the MH-C401FS.

Thanks,

Ed
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:50 AM   #6

The Lacrosse is nice as well. It has a diagnostic mode.

You can charge batteries for an infinite amount of times, just that they will stop working properly after about 1000 charges depending on conditions.
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:29 AM   #7

H

I stated in a previous post that a shallow charge is much preferred too a heavy quick charge. I was told this was wrong ,which I doubt. Makers do not state which is best, I suppose its a way too sell chargers , stating that "Our chargers are the quickest " therefore they must be the heaviest charge, getting hot in the process. Someone should come clean and state facts.

geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:45 PM   #8

Actually geriatric, you are partially right, it just depends on how people interpret what you say.

A charger that charges too fast will damage the NiMH cells the same way a charger that charges too slow. I tend to believe that between 2 and 8 hours seems fine... Of course we are talking about intelligent chargers. I personally mostly have experience with the Maha C204W which I have grown to like a lot, but its not the only good charger available.

The others are the Maha C401FS, the Lightning Pack 4000N from ripvan100 and the Lacrosse BQ390(or something like that). All of them have their advantages, so choose the one for you.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:25 PM   #9

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
Someone should come clean and state facts.
I think you're dead right here, geriatric. In the discharge process in a battery, there has to be, at the same place, a current collector, i.e., electron collectoror electrocinic conductor (the wire connected to the outside world).....,

AND the reactant that's going to provide ( or swallow) the electrons...,

AND an electrolyte which will allow the reactants to reach the surface of the conductor where it's all happening.

So there has to be a ternary (3-phase) interface, and after working in this area for 25 years I still find it amazing that it provides such robust and useful devices. Allowing time for the reactants to get to the site of reaction makes sense. Slow charging is a good idea unless there's concrete evidence to the contrary. Pulse charging might be a useful variation... Speed it up; waita bit etc.......

Everyone should think a bit about how their gadgets work. They might come up with a new idea!

Geriatric, if you worked in the camera repair shop in Bridge St., Chester, you probably fixed my OM-10 which is still in good shape, but not used often.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:16 AM   #10

Welcome to Battery University

Go here for a good read. Pretty thorough, I think
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote