Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:10 AM   #1

I´m a little confuest regarding the the battery for the Digital Rebel XT,350d.
The battery is called NB-2LH (not the same as for Digital Rebel,300D).

There are very various prices on them and I suppose there is a differenve then in the batteries performance.

I´ve seen NB-2LHbateries from $12.99 and up too $199

1500mAh NB-2LH (and then it´s 730mAh in the text): $12.99:
http://store.eforcity.com/bcannb2lxx04.html

Vidpro Power2000 Canon NB-2LH$29.85:
http://focuscamera.com/sc/froogle-lead-1.asp?id=964596111&rf=froogle&dfdate=06_17 _2005&sid=379376543

CanonBATTERY PACK NB-2LH {720mAh} $69.00:
http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNNB2L

2 questions:
Now these seem all to have about 720-740mAh... so why the bigprice difference?
And, what kind of battery comes with the camera (mAh vise)the canon Digital Rebel XT that is.

Thanks

skuliaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:35 AM   #2

The NB-2LH battery is $70.00 at the Canon web site. The identical OEM battery is $69.00 at Buydig. The other two links you posted are selling generic batteries...they are not the OEM batteries. That's why there is a huge price difference.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:43 AM   #3

I decided to give the non-OEM batteries a try and I'm glad I did. I purchased 4 non-OEM NB-2LH type batteries off of ebay. They were listed as 1000maH, but when I received them, they say 1500maH on the battery itself. Not sure if the maH is correct, all I know, is that they last longer than the OEM battery. I also used a DMM to test the voltage, as I was skeptical about that as well. The OEM reads 8.35V when fully charged and the non-OEM reads anywhere from 8.09-8.33V (one read 8.09, one 8.13, one 8.29, and one 8.33). I paid $21 for all four delivered to me door. Like I said, I'm happy with them. I tried it because I thought at most, I'd be throwing away 20 bucks and then I would know the truth about "ebay batteries." I use the BG-E3 grip for the XT and I keep the batteries with the lower voltage reading together and the ones with the higher reading together. I'm going to order 4 more in a couple of weeks. I say give 'em a try. I got mine from ACCSTATION on ebay...they're the ones with the buy it now option of $1.40. Shipping is $6.99 for the first item and $2.99 for each additional item. Good luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply, I´m going to try that non-OEM battery.

Threelast questions:
I know there´s a "
AC Adapter Kit ACK700" to power the camera... but is it possible to power the camera through the USB cord also?
(Just to be able to up-load the pictures to the computer without having to have a charged battery, not for taking pictuers). If not then i´ll have to get the power-cord also, an extra $90 :O

Also,
(In my current camera, FujiFilm S7000 that uses AA batteries, the batteries drain when not in use nor in the camera over a time period of 2-3 weeks...makes it harder to just pic up the camera and be ready to snap...)
Is this also that way with these NB-2LH batteries? Or even, might my recharables just be damaged somehow?

And, my last question for the time being:
(a little off topic/section)... Wich memory card uses less battery and is fast enough. Microdrice, Compact Falsh, SD... ?

I was thinking of the 1GbLexar 80x compact flash. Is it any good? Would you recomend anything else? (This would be for the Digital Rebel XT, 350D) Would the 40x version be enough for the digital rebel XT?

Thanks for all the help

Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:49 AM   #5

You can not power your camera through the USB connection. Buy a card reader and you won't have to worry about it, plus, a card reader will be faster than going through the camera. You really only need the AC kit if you're going to be doing some studio type shooting where you're going to have to use your camera for a long period of time. Also, transfering doesn't use up that much power.

All batteries will lose some power when sitting in a camera or any other electronic device for that matter due to them having contact with the contact points at which the power is distributed. NiCad and NiMH batteries from my experience will lose more power chillin' in a device than a Li-Ion.

The Lexar card is a very nice card, although the XT can't fully take advantage of it's speed. I've used it before and see no difference than the cards I use regularly...the Sandisk Ultra II cards. With both cards, I could get the same 65 shots at 3fps, so there is no advantage of the faster Lexar card. I say get the Sandisk Ultra II, plus it's $20 cheaper. Buy from Newegg.com...awesome company, great prices. $102.93-80x Lexar 1GB CF card, $80.49-Sandisk Ultra II 1GB CF card. Either route, you'll be pleased.

Good luck with everything and make sure to have fun!:-)
Old Jun 29, 2005, 5:28 AM   #6

Thanks SlapNTickleJr,
That answered all my questions

I was actually thinking of the SD Ultra II after reading more about the camera speed and such.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 5:03 PM   #7

I just bought the rebel xt and am also looking for a higher capacity spare battery or too.

SlapnTickle, how are your batteries holding up that you got off ebay? I just looked at ebay and there are alot of our batteries going to $1.50-4.00. Alot cheaper than $40+. I am worried that "I'd get what I pay for".

Is there any risk of damage using the higher MaH (1000 or 1500) vice the stock 750MaH?

thanks for the inputs.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 5:09 PM   #8

I just bought a rebel xt and am also wanting to get a higher capacity battery.

Slapntickle, How are your batteries holding up? I just checked out ebay and there are a few places selling out batteries for $1.50-4.00. Alot better than $40+. I'm just worried about the "you get what you pay for" thing.

Also, is there any risk of damage using the higher capacity batteries? And is ther such a thing as too much? 1000....1500?

Thanksfor the enlightenment.

edit---Oops, double post. I got an error message after the first one and didnt think it got posted.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:41 PM   #9

The batteries work wonderfully! I love them. They do last longer than the original, but not twice as long. I have had no problems with them what-so-ever. I feel I got a lot more than what I payed for. There is no risk using batteries with a higher MaH, because that is how much "juice" the battery will hold. Higher MaH, longer battery life, but like I said, the 1500MaH is almost double the OEM, but probably only last 50% longer. Give 'em a try!
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:08 PM   #10

FYI...

http://www.cipa.jp/english/attention/index.html

http://www.canon-europe.com/Images/13_262231.pdf

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote