Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

View Poll Results: Have your Sony battery/ies (NP-FS11 for DSC-P1) degraded much earlier than you expected?
Yes 7 77.78%
No, but I don't use them a lot 2 22.22%
No, and I do use them a lot 0 0%
Not got this battey, but I have problems with other Sony InfoLITHIUM batteries 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 23, 2003, 8:00 PM   #11

David,

That is great news! Is your camera under warranty?? What number did you call into?? Do you have the rep's name??

I just got the shiove off from Sony here in the U.S., but if I knew who was authorizing the fix, I think we may be able to make some progress "on this side of the pond".

Thanks,

KC
kcfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 4:45 AM   #12

KC, Hi
My camera is not under warranty (but it is only 20 months old), I did buy an "extended warranty" (from the shop, not a Sony thing), but that does not cover batteries, so I could see that there would be a problem taking it back to the shop.

As Sony have paid it doesn't matter now, and as they said that the problem was in the camera, the extended warranty would have covered it, I assume. On the other hand, I have also read that the courts over here have started to support the view that a company cannot necessarily "wash its hands" of a product once the guarantee expires. It obviuosly depends on the circumstances (cost/type of product, length of time etc), but I read about a case in which a supplier was forced to pay the repair costs of an 18 month old washing machine.

I don't have the paperwork with me to check the phone number, but from the web I get:
Sony UK
Customer Information Centre
Pipers Way
Thatcham
Berks
RG13 4LZ
(01635) 869500 (so that's +44 1635 etc)

Good Luck
Dave Turnbull
DavidTurnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:43 PM   #13

Thanks Dave. OK....here's what I need according to Sony.

Do you have the ticket # for this service. WIth that number, they can refer to the decision making authority that allowed Sony to fix your camera.

I need to get this to the guy I'm working with.

Thanks,

KC
Old Feb 24, 2003, 2:52 PM   #14

Hm, Not sure about "ticket #", the numbers I have are, from the Service Centre:

Job No: 208073
Estimate No: 25203

from the Customer info Center:
Ref: 75448044

But surely you are most of the way there by discussing it along the lines of being a known problem, as much as anything else?

Good Luck
DavidTurnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 5:50 PM   #15

You'd think so, wouldn't you.

I have never received customer service like this. It's truly terrible. Sony will not admit any fault in this situation and maintains that, since the camera is out of warranty, they will not fix it FOC.

The joke is that I have sent the camera to them twice about this during my warranty period and have logged several calls referencing this problem throughout my ownership of the camera.

Total joke......

KC
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis
My custom setup should be posted shortly. Just making up a web page which covers all aspects of the battery and usage stats.
I know this is an old topic, but i would definately see the web page how this custom setup was made.

'Atlantis' posted only 2 messages and so i and other people from the forum never saw that url of the web page, or did i miss something ?

If there are any alternatives today for the NP-FS11 , please do reply on this thread

Thank you in advance

J.
Chappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 4:34 AM   #17

Chappo and others,

I never got to reply with the details of my "kit" that I made to replace the NP-FS11 because I got a job, and time has been limited. I do still have the pics from when I made the kit. I'll put them together with some text and post a URL shortly.
Apologies to all who were expecting something sooner.

Lucky for me (and you!) I had post notification going on this thread
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:00 AM   #18

Great !

I almost gave up on the whole NP-FS11 alternative thing as i posted on alot of other different forums as well and didn't get any response there.
Maybe the "505v" is a tad too old for them....

Would love to see what you came up Atlantis
Old Aug 22, 2003, 1:44 PM   #19

Batteries are batteries, and it's likely that it's the charging circuit or sensing circuit that makes you think they are not working.

Will the camera work with a battery that doesn't have the sensing circuit? Is it a simple resistor on the third wire, or an embedded microchip?

I recently dug out some 3.6 volt flat Nicad batts I'd had for a few years, and set them up for a constant current charge on a lab bench power supply. After an initial input of constant current (50mA in this case), I was surprised that I had to increase the terminal voltage to 5.5 to 6 volt to maintain the charge current. If the charger cannot supply this sort of difference, then it is unlikely a totally flat battery will ever get fully charged. Many small chargers are fine topping up low charge batts, but sometines will not put the current into a totally flat batt.

As I said, batteries are batteries, so if the cam can be fooled into working without the batteries charge monitoring appendiges, why not charge the batts for a few hours at an equivalent 4-5 hour rate (set up your alarm clock!) that is the max mAh divided by 4 or 5. A simple constant current charger for a 5 Volt battery is a 12-24 volt power supply with a resistor or bulb in series to get the current about right, VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 5:23 AM   #20

Here is a nice link that you might find interesting.

http://members.fortunecity.de/kapmfs/e-liakku01.htm

The microcontroller can be fould and you CAN replace those standard accu's in the NP-FS11 with different ones for better endurance.

What i would like to ask is this.

Would it be possible to make an external battery pack of 4 batts, and joining them in parrallel so the current stays the same but the combined Wh is much higher.
Also, which battery would be perfect to do something like this ??

I am sure some will find this link very interesting so please share your thoughts about it.

Chappo