Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

View Poll Results: Have your Sony battery/ies (NP-FS11 for DSC-P1) degraded much earlier than you expected?
Yes 7 77.78%
No, but I don't use them a lot 2 22.22%
No, and I do use them a lot 0 0%
Not got this battey, but I have problems with other Sony InfoLITHIUM batteries 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 24, 2003, 6:39 AM   #21

This all sounds bad news for Sony cam owners. If the microcontroller is sampling the battery delta v and temperature, like most chargers, then increasing battery capacity should work if the charger is current limited, but it will obviously take longer to re-charge more batteries to full capacity.

The really bad news is if the microcontroller is programmed with the battery capacity and uses time in its calculation. In this case you will only get half the capacity into batts twice as big.

The way to prove all of this is to time how long it takes to re-charge a batt flattened by a torch bulb (monitoring the charge current would be useful. Then add the extra batteries in parallel and re-measure the charge current and time to complete charge with one controller.

If the current is higher or the time is twice as long, then bingo you may have a solution. However, what message will the chip send to the camera?? If it says "I'm a standard battery" and measures discharge current and time - you're stuffed, because your cam will say the batt is flat when it's still half charged!! My condolences go out to you and others if this is the case.

I don't have this system thank goodness, but if there are oem versions of the batts, what do the manufacturers do about the controller? are they fitting the Sony chip with their firmware code OR do they write their own. If the latter, then there may be possibilities for re-programmed controller chips, but there's still the problem of what data the camera will see, and how it will respond.

Ideally you shouldn't connect batts in parallel as they will equalise charge to the lowest. But it's ok for experiments. If you get good results, it's better to look for a single bigger batt. Hope this helps - VOX

I just had a thought, Does the camera run off the charger or an external power unit? Perhaps this is the way in, bypass the special battery stuff.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 3:49 PM   #22

So what your saying is that some scenarios have to be setup to see if things should work.

Too bad i don't have anything i can test with, i don't even have a fluke multimeter ops: shame on me

Are there any other who are willing to test a few things ??

A huge thank you in advance !
Chappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:43 AM   #23

Chappo/Voxmagna, my "kit" goes through the DC power plug and doesn't rely on the internal battery at all. The eliminates the camera's ability to know how much charge the battery has (no big deal really) and allows use until the battery is totally dead.

Details to come soon.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 3:49 AM   #24

Atlantis.... yes that being the case, the bypass route would be my favoured approach. After all, the low battery warning appears to be inaccurate anyway, so this is the only thing you'd lose. You'd just need to have larger capacity batts and a use some discipline over number of shots and charge.

Of course, if you switched battery technology to say external sealed lead acid on a belt pack, with a more predictable end of capacity relationship to terminal voltage, you could use one of those 5 led charge monitor circuits. VOX
Old Aug 25, 2003, 4:48 AM   #25

Ahhh Voxmagna... precisely what I have done
Old Aug 25, 2003, 5:41 AM   #26

Well well... look what we have here. Sony has finally acknowledged the problem with the DSC-P1 and NP-FS11 battery !
http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/news/dscp1svc.html
I wish those in the USA the best of luck getting the free repair. I'm not so fortunate being located on the other side of the world where shipping costs to the USA would cost as much as buying another digital camera (almost!).

I hope you all take advantage of this offer and get back the performance you deserve.

I will still post my small tutorial for a replacement battery for those not in the USA like myself.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 7:46 AM   #27

The power of clairvoyance is awesome!
Old Aug 25, 2003, 1:16 PM   #28

The power of whom/what ?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 3:33 PM   #29

Hello again,

Thought i reply with another question as i am very curious if it will work.

I found a nice sony battery which has the following specs.

- 3.6 volt/3420mAh
- InfoLITHIUM battery
- Up to 225 minutes run time

More info can be found here
http://www.atbatt.com/getItem.cfm?ItemID=210

What i would like to know is....

What if i opened one of those NP-FS11 and removed the normal
batteries , solder a wire on each of the 2 connectors and 1 on the third 'big' connector in the middle.
Something like this.

http://members.fortunecity.de/kapmfs/b17118b.jpg

And.... what would happen if i connect those 3 wires to the battery that i mentioned before which has a capacity of 3.6 volt/3420mAh.

Now logically , the 3.6 volt would be the same as the NP-FS11 and the 3420mAh is way more then the standard +-1200mAh of the NP-FS11 so there is more power to juice the camera up.

But.....

Would it be possible to do this just like that ??
Old Aug 27, 2003, 3:48 PM   #30

:idea: I'VE TALKED TO THE GUYS AT BATTERIES PLUS 227 IN S.C. AND THEY SAID IF YOU CALL THEM 864-254-0307, AND TELL THEM THE EXTERNAL HOOK-UP YOU NEED, THEY COULD PROBABLY FIX YOU UP WITH AN EXTERNAL LI-ON PACK THAT WIEGHS LESS THAN 1/4 POUND AND THE SIZE OF A PACK OF SMOKES. IT COMES WITH ITS OWN CHARGER. FOR AROUND 189.99 USD. ITS THE ONE THEY USE FOR NIKON D1'S.

DUCKPOND
DUCKPOND is offline   Reply With Quote