Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:40 AM   #1

I've recently seen a GP charger advertised as a 2000mAh charger. I comes with 2000mAh Batteries included.

I bought a GP charger with 1800mAh batteries about 2.5 years ago, and recently got myself 2500mAh batteries.

My logic tells me that there is no such thing as a charger that charges up until 1800mAh only, and that I will have to get another one for my 2500mAh batteries.

Am I correct?
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:59 AM   #2

The charging voltage should be the same. Fast chargers use a little higher voltage. It would just take longer for the feedback to say a higher capacity battery was full. My 3 year old MAHA does 2500mah batteries fine.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:22 PM   #3

SB Fast chargers use a little higher current.

slipe wrote:
Quote:
The charging voltage should be the same. Fast chargers use a little higher voltage. It would just take longer for the feedback to say a higher capacity battery was full. My 3 year old MAHA does 2500mah batteries fine.
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:30 AM   #4

Somewhere on the charger itself, should be a dataplate listing the charging current. This is an indication of how long it will take to charge a set of batteries. The charger will cut off when battery voltage reaches a predetermined level, so it will just take longer to charge higher capacity batteries.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:12 AM   #5

Cheaper chargers just have a timer that fills the batteries up to the specified rating. Smaller batteries would be damaged and larger batteries wouldn't be fully charged. These chargers often come with a set of batteries that are designed for it.

Better chargers look for either a change in temperature, or change in the voltage necessary to maintain current, both of which are indicators that the batteries are full. They then switch to a much lower power trickle charge that the batteries can withstand continually, even when full.

The smart chargers are often called delta-u or v, or something like that. You should be able to notice if you put a set of charged batteries in that it switches off quickly.
martinbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:48 AM   #6

The GP charger was relatively expensive when I bought it. In the manual it also advises you to leave the batteries in the charger, so that they dont "leak" over time, as NiMH usually do.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So it sounds to me like my charger will charge the higher capacity batteries to full capicity (or close enough)
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote