Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 9, 2003, 9:34 PM   #1

Default Power converters for Digital Camera's

220v to 110 converters,How safe are they, and which one to buy.

I'm travelling to Austalia and need help on the correct 220 to 110 power converter to buy. I do not want to toast my Camera even before I get there. What are the guide lines for buying a safe converter and the numbers to look for?
dpiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2003, 2:31 AM   #2

I assume that what you want to do is use your battery charger while in australia. By the way, do you need someone to travel with you? Just Kidding, I've always wanted to go to Australia, oh well.

The travel converters that I've seen are usually rated in watts. What you need to do is find out what your charger's wattage is. If it doesn't say on the charger or power supply it will give volts and amperes. Just multiply them to get wattage, ie V x A = W. Lets say your charger uses 110V and 1A it would then be 110 Watts.

Radio Shack sells one for $9.99 that should work fine for what you need. The catalog number is 273-1445.

Good Luck, and have fun down under!
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 2:36 AM   #3

Sorry, I didn't address the safety factor. Most of these travel chargers work by using a diode to clip half of the AC sine wave. What you end up with is a 110V modified sine wave. This usually works great for appliances such as razors but not so good for radios or TV's. Since your battery charger uses a Power supply, the Transformer in the power supply will clean up the clipping and should work fine. I don't see a safety issue as far as damaging the charger.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote