Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:14 AM   #1

I've read the battery info post and multiple other posts about the technical aspect of the newer AA rechargables but I'm still used to the older rechargables back in the day that didnt hold charges for squat. (spent more time recharging them than accually using them)

I've noticed alot of newer camera's use the AA's instead of ones like the Sony Info-lithium, which I'm used to,do like and prefer at this time.

Are the newer rechargable AA's able to hold a charge more than a day of shooting?(I always have atleast two sets ofbatteries anyway)

Am I just stuck in the past in regards to the technology that was and that is?

Thanks for your input, maybe one of these days I'll get a newer camera.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2

Rechargeable NiMH batteries do still self discharge quicker than other types of batteries, but they hold up pretty well. Most reports say around 2-3% per day they will discharge if left sitting at room temperature. Storing them in the fridge when not in use can slow this down even more. I just got a new camera that uses AAs and have been impressed with the battery performance. I've taken shots just about every day and have gotten about a week out of a full charged set of Energizer 2500s. That's a around250 shots per charge, and if I used it for one day I could get over 400 probably. If you leave a set sitting in your camera bag for a few weeks then try to use them they won't be too impressive though.

Try www.batteryuniversity.com for some very in depth answers to battery questions.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3

I recently (6/3/05) went away for a week, and took pictures every day. My camera holds four AA's, and I use Nexcell 2400 mAH batteries. The batteries in my camera were not freshly charged (meaning I had them in the camera and used them for about a week before I left). I brought 8 additonal batteries with me, which had been freshly charged (took them out of the charger the morning of 6/3). I also brought a charger along, just in case. I got a low battery warning on 6/8, after taking about 300 pictures, which included lots of zooming, playback, flash pics, and uploading into a relative's computer (I don't know how many pics I took prior to may trip...maybe 50 or so). The second set of batteries (which I put in the camera on 6/8 are still in the camera - I used it extensively this past weekend.

The new NiMH batteries cannot be compared to the NiCads of the past - they are vastly superior (I've used both). The new NiMH batteries do self-discharge over time, but if you use your camera often, it won't be a problem. I use them in my computer's wireless mouse, where a set of two lasts 3 to 4 weeks.

The NiMH's are relatively inexpensive...I paid about $1.00 apiece for mine, and they're supposed to be good for at least 500 charges. At that rate, I'll still have them 40 years from now (LOL)!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 3:09 PM   #4

You said you use them in your mouse. I was wondering if you havehad any problems doing this as I asked Dell when we got our wireless mouse and keyboard and they said they do not recommend rechargeables for the wireless things. Just wondering?

For my camera, I have 2300mah and they last a very long time, highly recommended over alkalines.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 4:48 PM   #5

Outstanding! Your right, I'm used to the Ni-Cads I used as a kid and then some of the 'cheap' digicams a few years ago that would last about 2 hours and be done.

Everyone's post has cured my fears of rechargable AA's and will help me now decide of a new camera. Since alot of them use AA now.

Thanks again all.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:58 PM   #6

now head on down to your local target (preferred) or walmart and buy a set (4 pack for approx$10) of energizer 2500mah and take em for a whirl.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:42 PM   #7

mes,

I've been using NiMH batteries in my Logitech wireless mouse for about a year without any problems. My computer gets a great deal of use, and it sure beats buying alkalines.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote