Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:13 AM   #1

I recently purchased a DigiPower DPS-9000 as an answer for long photo trips. and have run into a small problem. This problem was created by my improper use of the great little external battery pack.
The DPS-9000 connects to the bottom of the Fuji S5100 (or any camera) by way of the tripod screw. It also comes with a special cable that one end attaches to the camera and the other passes through a 5 Volt adapter to the battery pack. On the 5 Volt adapter is a red light that tells you the power is on.
I thought by attaching the end to the battery pack was a mistake because as soon as you attach it, the red light comes on and would drain the battery. So when I am not using the camera I left the plug on the camera side plugged in to the camera, and the other side unplugged from the battery pack itself.
Now that was a mistake, because as soon as I plugged the connector into the camera it turned off the internal AA batteries. Well after a day or so I went to use the camera and found all the settings were gone. The date had to be reset as well as all other settings.
The moral of this story never leave the DPS-9000 connected on either end. It only takes a second or two to attach the cable on each end.
All in all this Lithium Ion battery pack is fantastic. I can shoot as much as I want with flash on and still have power to spare. And if the DPS-9000 needs recharging I unplug it and the internal camera AA cells take over.
I hope this information becomes useful to someone else, and they don't have the same problem as I did.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:55 PM   #2

I really like this battery for my Panasonic FZ20. Since the FZ20 needs 7.2 volts, I don't have to use 5v stepdown adapter. I just keep the DP-1U cable attached to the DPS-9000 battery.

The problem I do have is some times the look and see a low battery indecator on my camera. Normally with the DPS-9000 is attached, I see no on-camera battery indicator. This means the battery cable has slightly detached from the camera and I am on internal power. So, I need to keep checking to make sure the DP-1U cable stays properly attached.

I do like the battery. I can keep the camera on for 5 to 6 hours straight.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:13 PM   #3

I agree, I had the camera on for about 6 hrs and it is still full. I wasn't using the camera all the time, but still great. As fas as the cable mine is tight, I guess the Fuji jack is a bit smaller.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote