Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:35 AM   #1

Hello,

My first post on Steve's Digicams Forums. As a very recent Sony DSC-H1 owner, I am now getting to grips with using NIMH AAs rather than the Lithium Ionaffair in my previous camera, a DSC-S70 (for almost 5 years)...

I learnt very quickly not to use Alkalines- I did this when I first got the H1 home and couldn't wait for the NIMHs to charge up! They lasted for maybe 20 shots! Once I got the NIMHs in (Sony's 2100MAHs), things were a lot better, but way off what I expected.

I also bought a couple of sets of Duracell 2050MAHs to use as spares. So far I have cycled all three sets of the batteries twice, but still finding they are not lasting as long as expected - a day's shooting - maybe 60shots - mixed use of LCD/EVF flash etc. My old DSC-S70 with Lithium ION used to last much much longer...

I read that NIMHs may need up to 5 complete cycles before they can hold a complete charge - how dramatic an improvement can this make? .... or am I kidding myself that using < 2600MAH cells and the 'free' Sony charger will ever give good battery performance.

Cheers

Adetri.

Adetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:23 AM   #2

I've found that it is not only cycles, but how long you charge the batteries. Are you sure you are getting a full charge for the Mah you are using. The chargers take different lengths of time to fully charge the batteries depending on the mah rating. Check the instructions which came with your charger to be sure. I found that my "overnight" charger required 24 hours to fully charge my 2300mah batteries as the "overnight" was based on 1600mah. Now the batteries last forever and they are onlyon their second cycle.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:54 PM   #3

you are going to have to cycle the batteries a few times. i would definately charge fully and fully drain as much as possible w/ camera (not flashlight). i dont know about the charger you got, but if it was free, it probably doesnt have many features such as discharge cycle.

i know some of my energizer 2300's only charged up to 600 mAh's the first charge, then i cycled them a few times until they charge to 2300 or above. i have a lacrosse bc-900 btw.

it may take 3-5 cycles to optimize.

good luck,

eric
eshieh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:55 PM   #4

I don't know how good Sony's NiMH batteries and charger are...I've found that maximum battery performance depends on a good charger and good batteries. However, they can't be as bad as 60 pictures per charge. I agree with mes that you might need to leave the batteries in the charger a little longer. Sony estimates 290 shots per charge with the supplied batteries, so something is not quite right.

I'm surprised that Sony would design a camera like the H1 for only two AA batteries, rather than four. ..probably had to do with the camera being quite heavy to begin with.

You might want to consider picking up a couple sets of quality batteries, and another charger. There are quite a few posts in this forum discussing all the latest and greatest.

Anyway, it seems like a pretty good camera - good luck with it.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:02 PM   #5

Thanks for replies. I am so smitten with the H1, I don't think it will be long before I hit a few more battery cycles... if I'm still not happy, I'll be researching chargers and batteries - I can always find a use for the other charger and batteries in the home for less demanding machines....

Rgds.

Adetri.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:40 AM   #6

Hello Adetri,

The Sony cells I have check out have been very decent performers. I know nothing about their chargers.

Do you have any information on the charger?

Do the cells come off the charger warm?

What is the voltage of the cells when they come off the charger?

NiMh cells will usually take 20-50 cycles to come up to full performance, but after 3-5 cycles they are very close. The increase in performance is usually only in the 3% - 5% range after the first few cycles.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:19 AM   #7

Adetri,

The Sony charger supplied withthe H1 (BC-CS2) takes 6 hours to fully charge the supplied 2100 mAh batteries. Therefore, to fully charge the 2500 mAh batteries, it would take a little over 7 hours. How long have you been letting them charge?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:30 PM   #8

Hi - I've been leaving them overnight... I think it may be getting better...

Rgds.