Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:30 PM   #1
blr

Hi guys.
Just want to share my impressions of this charger I purchased while travelling overseas.
As it can be expected from Sanyo it's a very well specified charger. The best thing is that it features a peak voltage control as a primary charge termination mechanism. Here are all safety functions according to Sanyo:
1. Individual charging control
2. Timer control
3. Peak voltage control
4. Minus delta voltage detection
5. Temperature control/protection
6. Alkaline battery detection
7. Short circuited cells detection
The peak voltage detection or 0dV (which is the proper way to charge NiMH cells) is backed up by -dV, in other words if the electronics fail to detect the zero voltage slope the -dV kicks in. As a last resort there is a timer. When charging 1 or 2 cells you can chose between the quick channels charging at 1275 mA or the slow ones charging at 565 mA. 3 or 4 cells are always charged at 565 mA current. 1 or 2 AAA cells are charged at 310 mA. All this is enclosed in a very compact body and plugs directly into the wall (via cable in Europe and with a foldable plug in the US). Works worldwide on 100-240V.
What can I say about the charger in use? The advantage of 0dV charge termination is obvious especially when charging at 1275 mA. The cells get heated only to about 40 degrees C. In fact there is no difference in cell temperature at the end of charge when charging fast and slow.
To me this is all a charger should be, no fancy stuff just a properly specified charger with plenty of overcharge protection. I gave away my LightningPack 4000N and will use ths Sanyo instead. The only thing that is missing is a discharge function and a separate light indicators for each channel (it has only one LED that turns off when the last cell is ready).
Last is price. I paid about 25 Euro for the charger packed with 2 2100 mAh cells, which is low for Europe.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:42 PM   #2

I don't get it -

You bought a new charger which takes longer to charge than your old one (255 minutes vs. 160 minutes for four 2100's), runs hotter than your old one (40 degrees C vs. 32 degrees C), doesn't have a discharge function, and doesn't have a trickle charge function...This is good? Without a discharge function, you can't use the charger to recondition your batteries. Without trickle charging, you'll never obtain the maximum charge in your batteries.

The NC-MQR02 does have individual charging, but since it only has one LED, you won't know if any of the cells are charging faster or slower than the others, and you will always have to wait until all of the batteries charge before you can take any out of the charger.

Next time you want to give a Lightning Pack 4000 away, give it to me - I think they are great chargers.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:01 AM   #3
blr

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
I don't get it -

You bought a new charger which takes longer to charge than your old one (255 minutes vs. 160 minutes for four 2100's), runs hotter than your old one (40 degrees C vs. 32 degrees C), doesn't have a discharge function, and doesn't have a trickle charge function...This is good? Without a discharge function, you can't use the charger to recondition your batteries. Without trickle charging, you'll never obtain the maximum charge in your batteries.

The NC-MQR02 does have individual charging, but since it only has one LED, you won't know if any of the cells are charging faster or slower than the others, and you will always have to wait until all of the batteries charge before you can take any out of the charger.

Next time you want to give a Lightning Pack 4000 away, give it to me - I think they are great chargers.

the Hun
What makes this charger good is that it covers all the requirements set by Sanyo for proper charging of NiMH cells. Mind that this is not the usual marketing ploy of the type "For best results use xxxxxx charger" since Sanyo specified their charging algorythms long before the charger was released on the market. They just implemented them in a small, well made and inexpensive charger.

I could argue against what you say , but let's don't bother the others with technical details. I have several chargers and none of them is ideal neither is Sanyo NC-MQR02. I will use it as a compact charger to take with me to the office and when travelling.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4

Can see that this is old thread, but must add one important information. Sanyo charger from the topic actually has trickle charge, although it is not mentioned in the specifications.

It is very easy to measure that it is still charging batteries after the LED turns off with a simple digital voltmeter. I had a huge choice of buying new fast charge with 4 AA high capacity batteries, and this charger was the best and most expensive in the compact segment, so this thread I've found on the forum made me dissappointed.

Anyway, I put batteries in it, checking the voltage raises every half an hour. After the LED went off, the voltage wasn't falling down, as it is supposed to fall from 1.4v to 'bout 1.35v when batteries are out of the charger, but instead voltage is jumping from 1.420v to 1.423v - what we call trickle charging.

Also have recommendation from a friend who uses same charger for 2+ years, and the batteries are still working as the very first day. Probably very good choice for charger. It has no discharge option, but I can live without it, always drain the batteries in the camera completely.

nidza is offline   Reply With Quote