Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 12, 2003, 1:58 PM   #1

Default 2100mAh vs Maha Powerbank

I have a Maha Powerbank Model# MH-DPB180M and im wondering if the new 2100mAh's by Ipowerbus will run longer or comprable, I would love to get away from carrying this external pak..
I have only used this with my c-2000z and never ran any of the new rechargables..
thanks..
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2003, 2:44 PM   #2

Default Answer me one thing...

I surfed over to the Maha website and got a good bit of info about these external battery packs, but was left with one question that remains unanswered.

The Maha is rated at 1800MAH capacity and costs $53 (roughly). If that capacity rating is an indicator of how long it can supply power to my camera, answer me this:

why should I spend more than $50 on this thing when for $10 I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a set of 4 NiMH AA batteries that are rated at 1800MAH just like the Maha? What's up with that?

Thanks,

Doug
Doug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 8:27 AM   #3
NHL

MH-DPB180M: 1800mAh x 6V = 10800mVAh
2100mAh NiMh: 2100mAh x 4.8V = 10080mVAh

The four 2100mAh NiMh almost equal the 10.8Wh provided by the Maha. I agree with Doug on the questionable higher cost of the Powerbank, especially when one can get FOUR sets of 2100mAh for the same cost... lasting several times longer (and not adding to the bulk or tethered to the camera)!

The Powerbank makes sense for camera that use proprietary small and expensive lithium cell available from the camera manufacturer only, but have zero to negative Return-On-Investment for cameras that can readily accept AA, especially nowday where the NiMh mAh rating and their popularity keep going up and up...

BTW the NiMh is also much quicker to recharge with the Rayovac 1hr charger. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 1:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the info NHL..

Go Wings!!
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:26 PM   #5

One critial item with powering digital devices is the voltage!

The difference in power is marginal but the 4.8V of the 4xAA NiMh will drop to below the camera's cut-off before the Powerbank's voltage, that way you may get more on time wtih the Powerbank.
dlarkin_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 1:39 PM   #6
NHL

NiMh voltage are pretty much constant throughout their discharge curve ie they drop off sharply when their capacities are exhausted and die suddenly, and make the battery level indicator almost useless...

Nonetheless the real question is will the Powerbank outlast 2 sets of NiMh for the 1/2 cost?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
NiMh voltage are pretty much constant throughout their discharge curve ie they drop off sharply when their capacities are exhausted and die suddenly, and make the battery level indicator almost useless...

Nonetheless the real question is will the Powerbank outlast 2 sets of NiMh for the 1/2 cost?
I take photos of auto racing and at any one event I'll take 400-500 pictures in a 3-4 hour period. I own a Nikon 5700 and about 6 months ago I purchased the battery grip accessory that accommodates 6 AA cell batteries. The standard battery that came with the 5700 is the EN-EL1, 7.4V @ 680mA. I bought 3 sets of 6 AA 2300mA Lenmar batteries. Logic says that 6 2300 NiMH batteries would give me roughly 3.5 times the life of one of the EL1 batteries fully charged. Even if 2300 was an over-rating, I should get at least twice the life of the EL-1. I was very disappointed to discover that there was little, if any, extra life with the 6 AA cells and time between flash cycles was increased by about 50%. Another disappointment was the stand-by charge of the NiMH batteries. I had to use the batteries within a day of charging them; otherwise I could only take 5-10 non-flash pictures before the low battery indicator would come on. Thinking it may be an issue with the NiMH cells, I tried two different sets of 6 Duracell batteries. I got about twice the life of the NiMH cells, but time between flash cycles was doubled.

I just received the Li-Ion version of the Maha PowerBank (MH-DPB140LI). I have not had a chance to test it at a race, however in the little bit of playing I've done, the cycle time between flash photos is noticeably shorter than with NiMH batteries. I've taken over 100 photos (about 50 of them flash photos) and still have three of the four power indicator lights.

I think what it comes down to is the ability of the Li-Ion batteries to supply the current quicker than the NiMH or alkaline batteries. I have a race tomorrow so I will report back with the results.
gweedoh is offline   Reply With Quote