Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 22, 2005, 5:40 PM   #1

hi!

i have an olympus d-490 digicam. ive been using the same rechargeable batteries ever since i got the camera. i went to charge that particular set of batteries and thought maybe i could use a different set while theyre on charge. for some reason, i couldnt get the camera to work. obviously, the new batteries were full and in good working order buti just dont know why the camera wouldnt switch on. they're both Ni-MH with 1.2V. the older one was a Varta AccuPlus Ultra 1400mAh, and the newer ones i tried to put in was a 2000mAh. does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong with it? thanks!

blumnmz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:23 PM   #2

When you say, " obviously, the new batteries were full and in good working order...", how do you know? did you try all four in another device? I'm thinking maybe one of them is bad...that could account for it. Did your camera work when you put your old batteries back in?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:07 AM   #3

the answer to both questions is yes. any more suggestions?
blumnmz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 7:55 AM   #4

Sorry, I don't... I see no reason why the new batteries wouldn't work, unless one (or more) of them has a short, is not charged, is reversed in polarity, or is not making solid contact inside the camera. When you tested the new batteries, was it in another camera, or was it in a low draw device such as a flashlight or radio?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 8:37 AM   #5

Hello Blumnmz,

In an effort to cram "more stuff" into cells to get higher capacity ratings, the cell case often changes shape. One of the changes involves making the cell bigger in diameter. Another involves changing the shape of the + nipple. Both of these can effect how the cell "fits" in a device.

I have noticed that the + nipple will not make contact in some devices and the addition of a small magnet sometimes helps to make contact (but adds a small amount of resistance in the circuit).

You may want to closely check this out. It could be that the batteries just don't fit.

The other option, as The Hun has pointed out, is that one (or more) of the new cells is unable to handle the load.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote