Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 31, 2005, 2:46 AM   #1

I'm off to England in roughly 40 days. The camera I will eventually purchase will have a lithium ion battery. And of course since American appliances do not work in England/Other countries.. What is my best solution for charging the battery in Europe? Anyone have a prefered converter?

Thanks,
Andrew
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2005, 6:17 AM   #2

You state lithium batteries. All the batteries for a certain camera are the same,for example Canon 8.4 volts. The Charger is 100-240volts 50/60hz so there is no problem.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:44 PM   #3

Well the camera I am getting is the Nikon 4800... Does anyone know more about this camera's supply and what kind of converter I need?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:14 AM   #4

just check the input voltage of the charger / power adaptor. There is a 50:50 chance it will say 100 - 220v. Forget about the frequency (60hz / 50Hz) it will not have any effect. All you need is a plug adaptor, available at airport shops.

If it says 120 / 240 there may be a switch on the unit (unlikly). Switch it to 240v

If it says 120v only you will need a transformer.One rated 30 to 50 watts will be ok. It will get hot but not too hot to touch.

DO NOT GET A "POWER CONVERTER" usualy rated 500w and above. These are Ok for heatingloads but are basicly just a light dimmer reducing the AVERAGE POWER to what you get at 120V.the actual voltage will seill be 220/240V.

Fially remember if you try to use a UK TV to see the output from the camera it will be only be a black and white picture - if any picture at all!
Grendell is offline   Reply With Quote