Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:15 AM   #1

Hi! First of all, thanks for all the infos here, it is a great forum and I have learned much about batteries so ...

Now, I have the Nexcell NC-20FC and using McNair and Nexcell batteries, 1700 and 1800 mah, everything is going well and still does. The problem is 4 new AA Energizer 2100 mah batteries.

The charger rarelly knows when to stop charging and continues 90% of the time. The batteries get quite hot if I don't remove them manually after about an hour and a half.

Same thing with discharging. The charger continues to discharge the batteries and rarely detects when they are ready to be charged....

Since the other batteries don't show that problem, I'm wondering if I have a bad batch or if there is some sort of new technology that gives trouble with my charger...

Any info will be appreciated. I'll continue reading the forum since there are so much infos to digest. Many thanks again!! :|

Stephen Melanson
stef51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2

I have the same charger (along with several others: Maha 401FS, Lightning Pack 4000N, and the newest Nexcell NC-50FC which is a really GREAT charger), and I have never had a problem with the Nexcell NC 20 (or the NC 30).

I have charged Sanyo 2100's, 2300's, Energizer 2500's, and Maha Powerex 2200's, all work just fine.

So if you have used the conditioning feature of the Nexcell NC 20 and the Energizer batteries are still not working properly it may be a bad battery (ies)???

By the way, it has been my observation that the Energizer's (which are a very good value), start off working just great but are now holding their charge less after about one year of use, whereas the Sanyo and the Powerex still hold about the same charge as when new. (???)

Good Day,

Steven

P.S.

It has been my experience that Nexcell chargers are second to none, but their batteries are another story. :roll:
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply... Yep, I can only imagine a bad batch of 4 batteries; if that's possible. I did heard about some defects on Nexcells 1800 and it did happen to me. I do like my charger a lot and only those 4 energizers gave me trouble. ... Of course, I will eventually get new ones to comfirm if it was a bad batch. Maybe even changing to another sets of mah...

Stephen
Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:17 PM   #4

Hey, I stumbled on your post looking for an answer in google to just such a problem. Bought some energizer nimh2300's. Charged them in my Quest Q2 charger and then put them in my digital cam. It went all screwy and would just quit. I put in more batteries and no problem. Later i recharged them and put them in a toy along with some other brands and after just a few uses it slowed right down. Took all the batteries and tested them and two of the energizers showed only .486 volts and reversed polarity. I noticed when I charged them prior to this that one energizer took longer and got quite hot. Anyhow I took these two and recarged them and they rechargen in only a few minutes back to full charge and proper polarity. Put them in my sony camera and it went all screwy again even though the charge and polarity still seem allright. Although it's pretty obvious that the battery is the problem , later I will stick them in something else and see what happens.

danno9899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 1:06 PM   #5

Interesting development!! Yes, they do behave like mine. Would there be something different in those energizers that would create problems with our chargers? Thanks for the reply, good infos....

Stephen
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:35 PM   #6

Hello Stephen,

I purchased an 8 pack of Energizer 2300 mAh cells about a year ago. I used them for a few months, then realized that they were not doing very well. I ended up tossing the whole batch.

A friend loand me some of his Energizer 2300's, and they were excellent.

I have another 8 that also seem to be working quite well.

I believe I got a bad batch, but find it interesting that all 8 were bad.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:59 AM   #7

I emailed the whole senario to energizer on Sunday including the fact that others are expieriencing almost identical problems. I'll let you all know what they say. I can't see there being a problem withe the charging systems as when the baterry reaches a certain voltage it shuts off. The voltage of all the freshly charged batteriesI checked were all the same, even the one that took longer and got extremely hot..

I really have no :idea:
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:19 AM   #8

Hello Danno,

My cells seemed to charge just fine. They just did not have the capacity or voltage retention of other similar cells.

My testing revealed that they had developed high internal resistance. This should not be much of a factor on low current draws, but would greatly effect high current draws. The problem was most noticable at higher currents, so I think my assessment was correct.

I am not sure why they did this, but their performance makes me leary of Energizer cells...

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:28 PM   #9

Thanks to all!! I'm curious about the company's reply. If they do not perform well on high current draw, that could be the problem. Then again, it could be a bad batch. In theory, if one person doesn't have a problem with energizers on high current draw cameras, then logically it would only mean a bad batch.

At least, I'm getting pretty confident that the problem is not my charger which is a good thing...

Stephen
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:23 AM   #10

Hey , I got a reply from energizer. They apologized and offered to reimburse me the aamouny I paid for the batteries. Didn't have a reciept so I went to the local retailer and took a pic with my camera phone and they acceptrd that.

They insisted that it was an unusual problem even though I told them it only took a minute on google to find others with the same problem. They also alluded to the fact that for liability issues they could not reccomend the use of a charger that was not made specifically for thier batteries as it may undercharge, overcharge or overheat them.Interesting though I checked thier charger at the store and it outright says it will work with all rechargable batteries.

They also gave me an address and ask me to send the defective batteries there for testing along with my phone number. Will be interesting to see what comes of that.

Later, Danno